Adding new members to a rhode island flock

Starlight61295

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 19, 2011
Hi everyone,
I was wondering which breeds of chickens get along with Rhode island reds. I have heard that they can be aggressive towards others so I don't know which ones. I want hens that lay medium-large eggs. Also, I think it would be cool to have a broody hen. I want a couple silkies but I'm afraid they will get picked on and maybe get killed. My Rhode island red rooster and 5 hens are very well behaved.
Thanks for any advice,
Starlight61295

RIRs are a tough group. I would think some Buff Orps would be a good match. They look quite similar, but are bigger birds overall. Not much in the way of variation for eye candy purposes, but less likely to get picked on by a tough crowd because they are so similar in appearance to the original flock. BOs are also known to go broody. I know- I have a broody BO.

I think you were right to hesitate at getting silkies. RIRs are a spirited lot and I don't know that a silkie would stand a chance in such a group.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I added a single Dom pullet to a flock of reds that consisted of 10 hens & one Roo. All I can say is wow what a nightmare. I should get some kind of award. I do not recommend ever doing this. It took many months for her to be accepted if it wasn't for the roo who totally protected her they probably would of killed her.The reds still mess with her but she is part of the flock & seems happy & lays alot of eggs. She's my favorite.

My RIR has always been first in the chain of command. The BR comes second, then the Wyandotte, Welsumer, Leghorn, Black Star, and EE. In that order
tongue.png
All but the Easter Egger lay medium/large sized light brown eggs. Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom