Adding new members to a rhode island flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Starlight61295, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Starlight61295

Starlight61295 New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering which breeds of chickens get along with Rhode island reds. I have heard that they can be aggressive towards others so I don't know which ones. I want hens that lay medium-large eggs. Also, I think it would be cool to have a broody hen. I want a couple silkies but I'm afraid they will get picked on and maybe get killed. My Rhode island red rooster and 5 hens are very well behaved.
    Thanks for any advice,
    Starlight61295

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    RIRs are a tough group. I would think some Buff Orps would be a good match. They look quite similar, but are bigger birds overall. Not much in the way of variation for eye candy purposes, but less likely to get picked on by a tough crowd because they are so similar in appearance to the original flock. BOs are also known to go broody. I know- I have a broody BO.

I think you were right to hesitate at getting silkies. RIRs are a spirited lot and I don't know that a silkie would stand a chance in such a group.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I added a single Dom pullet to a flock of reds that consisted of 10 hens & one Roo. All I can say is wow what a nightmare. I should get some kind of award. I do not recommend ever doing this. It took many months for her to be accepted if it wasn't for the roo who totally protected her they probably would of killed her.The reds still mess with her but she is part of the flock & seems happy & lays alot of eggs. She's my favorite.

4. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    We have 2 RIR and 2 BR they all get along great, but they were also raised as chicks together so that might make a difference.

5. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    My RIR has always been first in the chain of command. The BR comes second, then the Wyandotte, Welsumer, Leghorn, Black Star, and EE. In that order [​IMG] All but the Easter Egger lay medium/large sized light brown eggs. Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by