1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding new "strangers" in with my grown Bobwhites?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by _Randall_, Nov 12, 2009.

1. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    What can I expect if I add a new group of a dozen or so BWs in with my existing grown 48 BWs? I've got mostly roosters, and am wanting to add some more hens to the group so I can be ready to raise some off of them next spring. Total rejection, all out terrorist attack, warm welcome?????

2. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    They may very well go on attack. Be better to introduce them in a totally new enclosure where there are no "territories" established. My bob's have attacked newbies, as well as a couple of pheasants that were 4 x there size. They are fearless.

3. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]I would think that there would be some quail deaths. They are mean. I put them NEXT to each other where they can see & smell each other fow a few weeks then let them in 1 at a time .... this does not work 100%

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  4. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    That's what I figured. I guess I'll put them in a vacant 3' x 9' pen adjacent to the pen the 48 are in for the winter. This way, they are seperated and can at least see each other. I'm building a little chute from one pen to the other to make it all one continuous pen, but will have the two blocked off through the winter so they can't mix.
    Oh yeah, somebody mentioned "smell" ........ Can fowl use smell to help determine another bird is a stranger?

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    When You Do Combine Them..... Move All Quail To A New Pen At The Same Time. Sometimes This Helps, As If They Are All On Nuetral Territory Then Sometimes It Helps To Alleviate A Little Hostility. Good Luck With This.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by