1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding niacin to fermented feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MEMama3, Feb 27, 2014.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Can I add niacin (either ground pill or brewers yeast) to my ducks' fermented feed? If so, should I put it in the fermenting mix or add a bit in the daily dish?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wondered the same since i use ff too, but I was thinking that the hot water might cause the brewers yeast to lose some of it's potency so I just started adding some to their feed in the morning.

3. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    My concern was accidentally making grain alcohol lol!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    LOL Well you'd have known soon enough when they all started flopping around out in the yard or brooder.

5. jdaly91215

jdaly91215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    I have the same question. We're going to be getting 2 ducklings and I definitely want to do fermented feed for them but also wasn't sure how to add the niacin. Afraid Brewers yeast will create alcohol but also afraid they won't get enough if I desolve tabs in the water since they'll probably drink less than normal bc they're eating fermented. I'm thinking the tabs may be the safest route though to avoid drunken little duckies. Does anyone think a separate dish of Brewers yeast would work? Or is sprinkling it on top probably ok? Also, side question, do I have to supplement niacin their entire lives if they're eating chicken feed or only when they're young?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] I sprinkle the BY on top of their FF, you could also mix it in before feeding the ff it would be cooled at that time. don't use niacin to their water since I use BY. Give B3 in the form of niacin or BY until 10 weeks of age.

7. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    So after 10 weeks they don't need it? I may have been worrying for no reason. I'm getting adults.

I use multi flock crumbles and my game plan was to make the ducks' extra soupy (I drain the chickens' pretty well). Does that sound like an okay plan?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I use the same with all of mine chickens/ducks/geese it's moist but not soupy. Since all of my flock eats out of the same feeders I keep the water buckets in a seprate area than the feeders so the water fowl don't make the FF soupy. it's close enough they can walk over to drink but not right next to the feeders. They don't usually need the exta B's after 10-12 weeks because by then they are foraging real good and can find what they need to balance out their diet.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  9. jdaly91215

jdaly91215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    I'm planning on making their food nice and soupy too, seems like it would be more natural, but that's why I'm a tiny bit worried about the BY since I'd be sprinkling it into such a liquidy mush. I don't know how long it takes for it to create alcohol, maybe
    someone else does? I was thinking about getting this

http://www.nutrivitashop.com/10puniniacpo.html

Says it's instant release nicotinic acid, is that the kind of niacin ducks need? I'm imagining sprinkling a small amount onto their food

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I could hug you, this is exactly the kind of niacin that we rec. plain ole niacin and already in powdered form which is another plus. and this isn't Brewers yeast so you don't have to worry about the alcohol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by