Adding on to my coop

smcmillan1

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2018
Celina, Tx
I got this coop for my birthday https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-ranch-chicken-coop

being the newby I am.... coop says it holds 8 (not realizing at the time they probably meant bantams) I ordered 6 chicks and received 8 chicks! ( 1 barred rock, 1 black australorp, 2 cinnamon queens, 2 rhode island reds and 2 white austras) They will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and I couldn't be happier with all of them! My predicament is space for them once they can go out in the coop.

I had already planned to add a larger run but now I don't know if I'm going to have enough room in the hen house! any thoughts or ideas for adding on to the run or anything like that would be appreciated.

You could add plywood walls and a roost to the section that is currently the run so they have more space that is protected from the elements. It already has a roof.

Then you could build a bigger run, which you are planning on anyway.

^ This. Turn the entire thing into a coop by running a roost bar lengthwise inside and paneling up any sides facing prevailing winds. Then add an appropriate sized run (in your case, 80 sq ft+).

First turn this into a large coop by encvlosing the run. Make sure you leave ventilation. Once it' all set up build a 10x10 dog coop around it for the run. You will still need to wrap the run in 1/2 inch hardware cloth.

I agree with rosemary .I was looking at this Coop too. it is too small for the chickens I want ,but turning the whole thing into a coop would work great. then add another run on to it .
Best ,
Karen

My little coop is inside my run. It's similar to your coop. I might be enclosing it too. You might like my run, 100 square feet minus the coop area and easily enlarged down the line. It's a 10x10 chain link dog run that I protected with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. There are a couple types of 10x10 dog runs out there. You could pick the kind you want and use a second one later to expand to 10x30. Of course you can build a run from wood and hardware cloth. Whatever you decide for a run just remember to research and use the best predator proofing you can. Hardware cloth is your friend.:thumbsup

That's one of PP's newer designs, saw it at TSC.
Still too small for the birds they say, but a vast improvement over other prefab coops. Nice big metal roof and even some decent ventilation.

Might want to leave one side open for summer as hot as it is there.

Back
Top Bottom