adding one new little bird?

Cocotte

Songster
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
My favourite hen died last month leaving us with 3 chickens. One is a bantam mille fleur cochin. She isn't much into laying eggs, but she is always happy to sit on the other girls' eggs. The other two are standard Americaunas. All three recently turned 2. I would really like to add another chicken, maaaaaybe two. Could I add a 2 month old pullet to the group? Would adding two 2 month pullets work better?

If you can at all add two that would be better. A new chicken, especially a younger one, will get picked on in the beginning. If you get two, they can team up together. A single new bird would get all the negative attention from the others and that would be rough.

If all I could have was 1 new chicken -- I'd quarantine the 2 month old for at least a month, then put it with the nicest chicken I had for 3 or more days in their own space. Then, I'd add another hen in with them for about another 3 days. Then, I'd put them all together.
Dale-Ann

Thank you for your responses! I think the separation/putting new pullets in with an older one would work out well. Our chicken coop is raised off the ground with a run underneath. We wanted to give them more space so we attached a dog run onto the coop run but left the door in between so it can be two separate runs if it needs to be. The little cochin would probably be a good buddy for the new little girls, she goes broody all the time and is fluffy and snuggly.

Back
Top Bottom