Adding protein

nikkitiff

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 30, 2014
I've been trying to figure out what I would like to feed. I would love a GMO & soy free Organic feed but so far Ive only found Organic or GMO free with the sometimes added soy free. For selling purposes I think I will stick with Organic feed. They both sell for about the same price around here.

They all are at about 16% protein. I would like to add more. What can I feed them to bump up their protein while keeping them on the regular Organic layer feed I've been feeding them?

The organic should also be GMO free. How old are they? If they are laying eggs and none are molting, 16% is sufficient. You can add occasional meat and fish scraps or cottage cheese to up the protein a bit. For just a few birds, mealworms will add protein. Perhaps a can of mackerel or tuna occasionally. I really wouldn't shoot for more than 17% unless they start molting. For molters I up it to about 20 %.
If you have oyster shell on the side, you can mix in a little higher protein grower feed. An 18% grower 50:50 with the 16 layer will give you the 17 and about 2 1/2 % calcium.

I thought I was reading on here that a lot of people use higher protein foods? Does a 20% hurt them?

5 are 2 years and about 20 are just Begining to lay.

I thought I was reading on here that a lot of people use higher protein foods? Does a 20% hurt them?

5 are 2 years and about 20 are just Begining to lay.

20% protein wont hurt them at all.
My birds never see a feed less that 20% protein and they do great on it.

If your wanting to stay Organic/GMO Free/ Soy Free your going to have a hard time finding one that is a high protein feed.
Most of the Organic/GMO Free/ Soy feed are low protein feeds that use very little if any animal proteins so you may look into getting a bag of Fish Meal.
Fish Meal will not only add animal protein to there diet but also add proteins also.

Back
Top Bottom