Adding Rabbit pellets to chicken feed?

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
NY
I don't do a lot of fancy additives but To every 50 pound bag of of Layer crumbles I add/mix in 2 cups of old fashioned oatmeal flakes and 2 cups of black oil sunflower seeds "SHELLED"
While I was feeding the rabbits and noticed the deep green color of the feed and thought that it surley contained some good nutrients that may be of value to my silkies diet. My birds love to eat grass spring/summer/fall
And get no access to grass in this cold Northern Winter.

So I want to add 2 cups of the pellets to the50 pounds of layer crumbles as well.

DO ANY OF YOU GIVE YOUR CHICKENS BUNNY PELLETS???

It will not hurt them, just dont feed it to them as a regular feed, animals have there own feed, but i mix my stuff around to sometimes, especially if feed get to low, and cant make a feed store run

I mix it in with mine too. The guy at the feed store told me it was made from Alfalfa and would be good for them and to mix some in their feed. I do about 1/4 of a bag to 50lbs.

Good post. I've wondered about this too. My poor birds are getting no greens
other than the little bit of scraps we feed them.

I'm gonna try it. I'll let ya all know what my birds have to say about it.
wink.png

I have Rabbits and chickns also and my chickens love to get the rabbits food so I give it to mine also its more Protine and they can get there greens too

also people they have stuff called alfalfa pellets, which is alfala compackted into a pellt that our good for everything, including rabbits, also rolled oats are really nitrious

Alot of commercial bunny pellets can contain antibiotics, so be careful what you add.
I feed my bunnies Standlee Orchard Grass and Timothy Hay pellets. If I thought they were small enough for my chickens to eat I'd definately give them some but being horse sized they are a bit too big.
I do put some in the blender and add that to their food though.

My bunny lives with my chickens, and they share chicken and rabbit food. The chickens don't like the rabbit food much though, other than to scratch it out of the pan. They love the loose hay on the floor though. They eat the little bits, and have a great time scratching in it.

Just remember that adding anything to their regular feed will alter the overall protein level. I have no clue what rabbit food is, but in general you want to be in the 17-18% range with egg layers. You could be doing more harm than good if you are feeding a lot of addiitional products.

Back
Top Bottom