Adding roosters to flock

Ok I got a new rooster and added him to my flock that already had a rooster they fought but my original rooster backed down.

can they stay in the same cage together with my hens?

I took him out before I left just in case. He and my other rooster and his flock of four hens and four of this year's chicks are out at my moms. I live in town an won't be able to watch them. And I want my original rooster storm to survive.

Last edited:
Update... I put my bantam cockerel (Lil Jon) in my newbies pen with the 7 pullets and 1 cockerel (Sanchez ) yesterday. So far so good turns out Lil Jon is more dominant and somewhat of a bully. All and all they seem happy for now. However after reading many horror stories about lil Roos being fine with each other then come spring when they are big Roos not so nice. So now I'm thinking of getting more bantam pullets for lil Jon. He will be in a separate pen. Will 4 pullets be enough??

Soooo, now I'm thinking of getting a mixed flock for Lil Jon. If I get standard sized gals for my bantam cockerel could I get away with fewer gals overall. Or will he breed them as much as a bantam hen. i am not looking to hatch any just want to have happy chickens But keep flock to a minimum.

. Lil Jon is my first bantam. I'm still having a hard time seeing him as a whole chicken. I can't believe he runs circles around Sanchez I guess you have to be tough when you're that small or maybe Sanchez is just a big softie.

So now I have Lil Jon in with my hens. I'm hoping they will teach him some manners. He was a little tough on my pullets. Unfortunately the bantam pullets I was getting for lil jon's flock became raccoon food
1f622.png
. So now I'm looking for other pullets. Hopefully ill find some soon so he can start bonding with his forever flock. So much drama for such a little thing.

Back
Top Bottom