Adding several young with one old

bobd400

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2014
NE PA
Hello all,

We thoroughly enjoyed having our couturnix quail (and much of the advice here has helped!). Unfortunately over the last two years, we've lost all but one.

Naturally we're concerned she's lonely, so we'd like to add some more. However, I'm perplexed on what to add?

I know it might be a problem adding several adults, since she would be the "odd bird out".

And I know you can't add young chicks (4-8 weeks) to an established flock of adults.

But what do you think of adding 2-3 chicks (4-8 weeks) with the one adult?

Thank you,
Bob

I am yet to have personal experience with adding younger quail with older quail (I will soon though), either way you need to introduce them slowly. Either separate your current enclosure with a wire screen (so they can still see each other) or place two cages/enclosures side by side for a few weeks. I have heard a minimum of 1 week next to each other but to go on the safe side you would want to go 2 - 3 weeks.

This will allow the quail to sort out the pecking order before being placed in together. I recently learnt the hard way at how aggressive and territorial quail can be and it is not something you want to risk. When you finally introduce them you still may have a few fights but the main aggression should be sorted by then. People have also recommended placing them side by side for a few weeks and then placing them together in a completely new enclosure which neither of the quail have been in.

When i learnt the hard way I did ask for help on the forum and had some good advice, the link is below if it helps :). Just to note the picture isn't the prettiest. My new young quail managed to completely de-scalp my older quail, so much so the skin on the head slid down over her eyes as there was nothing holding it up... Like i said, i learnt the hard way
hit.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/998772/graphic-photo-severely-injured-quail-urgent-help-needed

Back
Top Bottom