Adding Silkies to an existing flock

mags2009

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Wisconsin
I will be getting 8 new chicks in 3 weeks. 4 silkies, 2 Salmon Favorelles, and 2 easter eggers. I already have 12 other "big" girls. 2 barred rocks, 2 white rocks, 2 easter eggers, 1 black copper maran, 2 welsummers, 1 splash ameracauna, one red sex link, and 1 buff orpington. Can I integrate the silkies when they are ready? I know they are bantams and will always be smaller, but has anyone done this, and done it succesfully?

Thanks.

I believe as long as you follow all the general "good" rules for adding to flock you will be fine. Quarantine, then separate but together pen for a while. I see people on here with mixed flocks all the time, so I think your little silkies will be fine.

Thank you. Yes, we will keep them separated for most of the summer until they are full grown. We have a pen in the garage for nightime, and during the day they will be outside in a separate pen from the "others". BUT they will all be able to see each other, so hopefully that will help. We have done it before twice, but we have never had bantams, so was a little wary. In fact, have wanted silkies for a long time, but thought the bigger girls would NEVER leave them alone, but they are just so cute that I am willing to try.

What I've done in the past is add one of your old chickens (maybe orp) to the group of new ones when it's time to integrate. When they get along, add another. This way, they might end up with friends before they go out to the flock.

I would not recommend it. I just tried it a few days ago and it did not go well. My beautifully feathered silkie pullet is now scalped to the bone! I had a place that I thought she could get away from the big hens. That did not work. We are now working on a silkie pen.

This is QP's method for introducing new members xD

First, make sure they're old enough to obviously be outside and on their own.
Then I usually use chicken wire and basically split the coop in half. One for my existing flock and then for the new comers. You do not want to put them together immediately! Let them stay behind the chicken wire for atleast a week. This way they'll be able to decide the pecking order without having conflicts.
Then once they're "ready" put them in with the rest of the flock, at NIGHT. So while everybody is sleeping, slip the new comers on the perch or wherever. This way, it will be like, "Oh hey, ooooh food" in the morning. They'll be too distracted and ready for the morning routine they wont be wanting to fight etc. they just want food. Then hopefully they'll just sort of join in like they've been there forever. Now this sometimes does not work, and there may be a conflict to decide the pecking order but, this method has worked for me several times.

QualityPolish has the best solution to try.
I have had 2 bantam chickens for 9 years. Two years ago, I added 6 red sex-link pullets to the coop. At first, my banty hen would beat the heck out of them, so they were afraid of her, which was good. But now that she has gotten older, they have learned that she no longer is as tough as she once was and they pick on her constantly. Her & my bantam rooster spend almost all of their time in the coop these days, unfortunately.
The general rule for adding new chickens to an already established flock is to wait until the new ones are the same size as the older ones. Since this will never be the case between banties & standards, I can only suggest to proceed with caution. Try QualityPolish's suggestion and see what happens. They are going to fight no matter what, to establish a pecking order, but I would be ready with the hose just in case things get ugly. You have some pretty big birds already, so be very careful. It might work if your girls are well-mannered, but I would be very hesitant. The newcomers are outnumbered and outweighed by quite a bit. Hope this helps and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom