Adding Silkies?

Aug 1, 2020
Arkansas
After my husband said no new birds (to my daughter) this year…I ended up getting 3 EEs about 12 weeks ago (sexed pullets, I’ve had questions about that and mixed guesses from others, but for now assuming they’re pullets). Our existing flock has 2 white Leghorns and 1 BR hen (3 years old this summer). Well his coworker just hatched out 2 silkies and said we could have them. She (cowork) had issues with a different breed attacking her silkies in the past (so they’ve been separated). Do you think silkies would be bullied with our current breeds?

We have 1 (newly built) coop that can accommodate 8 birds and we have our previous tractor/coop that can accommodate 4 birds. Once the silkie chicks leave their mama hen I would keep them separate anyway, but wondering if they’d do ok integrating.

Any advice on general for silkies that may be different? I did some reading online.

Last edited:
I've always kept Silkies in a mixed flock of many breeds. They have been fine. In fact, my favourite Silkie hen was top dog in the coop until she died this year.

Don't believe what you read when they say Silkies are delicate. Nobody told the Silkies this! They are just as chickeny as any other chicken.

Some with giant pouffes can't see sideways. You can trim it or leave it. They manage just fine.

It may work out, it may not. If you're willing and able to keep them separately if things don't work out (and sounds like you're planning to house them separately anyhow?) then no reason not to take them if you want them.
Planning to separate to start just bc they’re coming from a different flock, so more like quarantine. Would love to integrate after a few weeks if possible. But have the option to have them housed separate. My others free range during the day.

I've always kept Silkies in a mixed flock of many breeds. They have been fine. In fact, my favourite Silkie hen was top dog in the coop until she died this year.

Don't believe what you read when they say Silkies are delicate. Nobody told the Silkies this! They are just as chickeny as any other chicken.

Some with giant pouffes can't see sideways. You can trim it or leave it. They manage just fine.
The lady I am getting them from hd one of her silkie’s killed by her other chickens, but I guess that can happen with any breed.

The lady I am getting them from hd one of her silkie’s killed by her other chickens, but I guess that can happen with any breed.
Yes and it can happen for many reasons. Males can even kill by mating aggressively.

And sometimes a chicken is sick or has an injury and other chickens see the weakness and bully and peck it. The chicken dies. The owner thinks it died by chickens, but it died from the original injury or illness.

Best thing when introducing new chickens is the 'see but don't touch method' then when you do mix them you watch them closely for interactions and body language. Monitor them for a week or so. Nip any issues in the bud.

Back
Top Bottom