adding to flock, help me choose a breed!!

Quote:
chantelers are Canadian the Chantecler is the first Canadian breed of chicken

delawares-white

holland- white eggs

Java- are not a true american breed actually came from the Isle of Java and refined in america

BUCKEYES-Buckeyes were developed by Mrs. Nettie Metcalf of Warren, Ohio, and appropriately named after the “Buckeye State.” Buckeyes are unique in the American Class of chickens in that it is the only breed created entirely by a woman

I think I will add a few more buckeyes.

the dom is on the watch list

Not many true American breeds, md, are there? I did say Javas were not original to this country, but still worth saving. What do you like? If you want to add a breed, a few more Buckeyes won't do it, nice as they are. Why not get some Doms and keep them from going downhill again, then? First American breed. What's better than that?

I agree with Cynthia, Dominiques are the ones for you. I thought I had them and read about them, then had to learn about Barred Rocks since that what I actually had, lol! The Doms lay large brown eggs, are a true american breed, friendly, not so broody, most lay daily, are very pretty (like my Rocks, lol!) but have a really different comb, sort of a flat cauliflower looking comb!! Yep, if you aren't going to get Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks then get a big fat Dominique or two, or twelve, or twenty!!!! Darlene

Quote:
I know how that feels I thought I had a barred rock and found out I had a Cuckoo Marans. Poor thing was called rock for three months, no wonder I get dirty looks when I call it Cuckoo, bet it thinks I am going CUCKOO. I did pick up a dom hen at the fall Harrington show, so maybe if same guy is there this spring I will get a couple more.

Last edited:
I think the Faverolles are on the critical list.....but i dont know if they fit any of your other conditions. I saw them at the show sat and fell in love. They are sweet, and beautiful.
Anyway i just like them.

Sounds to me like you're looking for more buckeyes.
wink.png

You've almost got me interested in trying some.
smile.png

There is a breed called New Hampshire too that's American and on the watchlist.....

Edited to Add:: That the Dom was the first American breed the Java was the second...........

Last edited:
Not relevant if Chanteclers are not "american enough" for you (although I would point out that Canada is part of North America same as the US is
wink.png
), but they do come in buff too, although it is not APA recognized. Looks purty to me, for whatever that's worth. Harder to find though.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom