Adding to flock, looking for breed advice.

jp57

Chirping
May 1, 2017
Townsend, DE
I started my first flock last year with 4 buff orpingtons, and 4 ameraucanas. Over the course of the year, I lost one of each. I am looking to add 2 more birds, but wanted to try a different breed. Looking at what is available locally, I have narrowed it down to either black sex links or barred rocks. I am leaning to them for their high egg production, calm temperament, and the cold/heat tolerences. I was looking at Rhode Island Reds and Australorps, but from what I read they aren't as tolerant to heat. (we have hot summers). Just looking for something easy going that will eventually get along with my other girls as well as provide some eggs for my family. Any advice. My existing flock free ranges on 5 acres and are only locked in their coop at night.

The feed store near me also said he was getting in some Cherry Eggers, but I couldn't find a lot of info on them.

If your wanting a breed that is heat tolerant and fairly consistent layer, you should look into Turkins. They are fairly good layers and naturally have about half the body feathers "not just naked necks" that other breeds have.

Cherry egger is a high production layer that is a rir and nhr cross. BA are very heat tolerant. My choice would be the BA or BR. I prefer to stay away from the hybrid production layers.

Personally I would consider the cherry eggers, a couple of production birds will really lay eggs. They will go well with your other birds. I am adding a few to my flock this year too.

Back
Top Bottom