Adding to flock, quarantine, aggitation

Leonard4

Songster
5 Years
Jan 16, 2017
Suburbs of Chicago
Hi all! I have 2 two year old hens currently. Yesterday I picked up a 16 week old Ameraucana and a 9.5 week old Sapphire Gem from a local women who had too many (she is an experienced chicken keeper).

I read ahead of time that I needed to quarantine the new pullets to make sure there are no diseases. I had both of them in an extra large dog crate in my garage, with food, water and a fan near them. They were both very agitated, so I messaged the woman I got them from and she recommended I separate them for the time being since they are different ages, They both were definitely calmer. However, the Ameraucana is still VERY agitated on and off, and I feel terrible! I have a nice sized covered run coming tonight, but I won't be able to get them into it until tomorrow, as I work second shift. The plan is to still keep them in the garage at night to make sure no predators get them.

Am I doing everything ok? I've never added to a flock before (obviously). I just feel bad for the Ameraucana that she's so upset.

And constructive criticism and/or advice is greatly appreciated!

They often do a lot of squawking when things change. I am pretty sure she will calm down pretty quickly. If she has water, feed and shade, and it doesn't get too hot in the garage, you are doing just fine.

People often times worry on here, about birds being alone. I kept a rooster alone for almost 6 weeks, just to make sure it was molt and not something else. And recently I had a chick as a sole survivor of a rotten wreck. She was alone for more than 4 weeks, both of them did just fine, and both moved back into a flock with ease.

Mrs K

They often do a lot of squawking when things change. I am pretty sure she will calm down pretty quickly. If she has water, feed and shade, and it doesn't get too hot in the garage, you are doing just fine.

People often times worry on here, about birds being alone. I kept a rooster alone for almost 6 weeks, just to make sure it was molt and not something else. And recently I had a chick as a sole survivor of a rotten wreck. She was alone for more than 4 weeks, both of them did just fine, and both moved back into a flock with ease.

Mrs K
Thank you SO much. That made me feel better. I figure it's just an adjustment thing, but I was just worried I was doing something wrong. Thanks again!

How big is your coop?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
That might be the hardest part, getting them all to share the coop.

Considering biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

How big is your coop?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
That might be the hardest part, getting them all to share the coop.

Considering biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
This is great information! Thank you!! The coop is plenty big, as we started out with 4. So I’m not worried about that aspect.

Chickens don't like change so they can get agitated but they are also adaptable. They get over it. They don't always know what is best for them, sometimes they may not like what you do for their benefit. In other words, do what you need to do and don't feel guilty about it.
Thank you so much!!

Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• 04B4D38E-109E-4DDA-9239-001BC11F3B90.jpeg
    04B4D38E-109E-4DDA-9239-001BC11F3B90.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom