Adding to my flock... the dilemma

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
I'm having a dilemma. I figured out the space in my coop and how many birds I can add. I can add 5.5 heavy breed birds to my coop. But if I add 2 Welsummers they are reg weight, I believe, I can add 4 other heavies too the flock. Ok, here's the problem, I want 2 buff Orps. 2 Speckled Sussex and 2 barred rock. That's 6
hit.gif
So I figure I can only have one of each of these but then what else? If I add 2 of one of these, which should it be?

Since my DH reads all my posts to see what I'm up too, this should be a shocker to him.
ep.gif
But yeah, I want to add a some girls. I think it would help keep a more consistent egg production with molts and such coming up.

I am adding on to the coop,
gig.gif
but it will be my breeding coop. I've thought of adding a second story. it's an 8X8x8 coop. I thought I could go up 4 feet, add another floor, cut out a 4X4 square for access, then chicken wire the walls up so it keeps the girls seperate, but DH would NEVER go for this idea, but I'm plotting
lau.gif

In the breeding coop will be Blue Orpingtons. I'll subdivide that and put blue jersey's on one side and blue orps on the other. If one or the other doesn't work out , then I can always have a hospital coop, or broody coop or transitional coop. You know, there is always a need for additional coops, but we tend to fill them with something
lau.gif

I agree to adding on..

And in the meantime.. switch to bantams. More ladies in the same amount of space. LOL!

btw, I have 10 standard ladies, and 4 bantams in my 8x8 coop. They have a covered run they hang out in all day, so they are only in there to lay or at night to sleep. It's been fine.

Meghan

Quote:
THis is my new plan
smile.png
once I sort out the roosters that have to go and I know how many birds I have left i'll be picking out some bantams
smile.png

Just get the birds and throw them in the coop. They may have eneough space
with what you have already. It also depends on how much run/free range time
they get. If you need more space you will have no choice once you already
have the birds. Neccessity is th Mother of Invention.

I have 65 birds in a 6x24' run and they have 3x20' of inside barn space. It's
complete chaos but still fun. Most are still young so that number will get back down
into the 20's soon.

P1130110.jpg

Well, my eggs sales have gone crazy since I put the signs up. DH is worried that I won't be able to keep up with demand. He thinks I should think about adding to our flock
lau.gif
I think, dream and plot about that 24/7... Yes dear, I'll do that.
lau.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

I'm getting more chickens, I'm getting more chickens.
ya.gif
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom