adding to my flock

junkman56

Songster
7 Years
Sep 7, 2016
Northwestern PA. ( Tionesta )
My Coop
My Coop
I have 7 red star hens right now, and I just ordered 7 more chickens from (My Pet Chicken) they are due to be shipped around April 9th, they are.
2- Barred Plymouth Rock Hens
2- Buff Orpington Hens
1-Buff Orpington rooster
2 -Golden Laced Wyandotte Hens
Now I have to expand my coop to make room for 14 chickens, I wanted a rooster and I hope I made a good choice on my selection. I already expanded the run to 48' x 21' and covered it with bird netting, we have been seeing a few big hawks hanging around, so I figured I better get it covered before the hawks get them all. I am excited about the new chicks coming. we been looking at TS for chicks, but I wanted 1 rooster and 6 hens and all I could get from them were straight run chicks.
do you think 1 rooster with 13 hens will be ok? and being it is a mixed flock
thanks Jack

now that I ordered the chicks and know their going to be coming, I know I have quite some time before they get here, then a lot of time before they leave the brooder. I am getting nervous about how I will introduce the new chicks to the older hens, and not have any problems. I only have 1 coop,
any suggestions? from the experts
thank you
Jack

I like to start taking them on field trips pretty early. It gives them a chance to play and scratch and peck, and you can supervise introductions with the other flock members as well. You will quickly find out if you have intolerant grouches or if they will ignore they babies. In any case, everyone starts learning their place in the pecking order early and you have fewer issues when you decide to out them together full time. Mine are usually roosting with the bigs by six weeks, just like they would if a mama hen raised them.

I like to start taking them on field trips pretty early. It gives them a chance to play and scratch and peck, and you can supervise introductions with the other flock members as well. You will quickly find out if you have intolerant grouches or if they will ignore they babies. In any case, everyone starts learning their place in the pecking order early and you have fewer issues when you decide to out them together full time. Mine are usually roosting with the bigs by six weeks, just like they would if a mama hen raised them.
thank you

at what age do you start to take them out for field trips,
also do you just let them run around in the run with the older hens.
I planned on having them in the same coop at around 6 weeks, but with a fence separating them, I'm not sure how do this transaction,( young with the older)

I've got some babies arriving the week before from My Pet Chicken, too - I was hoping for a broody hen but it's not looking good. I will be curious to hear how things are going for you!

Back
Top Bottom