Adding to my flock

Welcome to BYC!
The best way would be to put them in a 'see-but-don't-touch' situation. Closing off a small area of the coop or having a cage within the coop would work well. Leave them there for about a week, then slowly beginning letting them out. There will be some pecking involved, don't worry, that's part of the process. Your chicks should be old enough to fend for themselves.

Perfect that is exactly what I’m doing for them right now. I cornered off one corner of our coop with some chicken fence so the big one can see them and not touch. When the big girls are free ranging I was thinking of letting the little one in the run to get some play time outside. Think that would be ok ?
Yup, that would be fine. After that you can also have them together in the run; more space means easier introduction.

Perfect that is exactly what I’m doing for them right now. I cornered off one corner of our coop with some chicken fence so the big one can see them and not touch. When the big girls are free ranging I was thinking of letting the little one in the run to get some play time outside. Think that would be ok ?
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
That would be perfect. This way the littles can learn where everything is in the run. I did it this way but with a 1/3 acre pen instead. The new birds get to learn the lay of the run while the original flock is out free ranging. After 2 or 3 days of this, let the littles out into the run about an hour before you release your original flock. Good luck with your integration.

Back
Top Bottom