Adding to my flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dougie23, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Dougie23

Dougie23 New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    So I currently have 4 Buff Orpingtons and they are 2 weeks old. I would like to add 2 or 3 more hens and I am wondering:

1) Is it safe to add new chicks to the Orpingtons now, or do I need to keep them separate until the chicks get bigger? I read some articles on this, but it was for when you had an already established laying flock.

2) Also are there any other breeds that do well with Orpingtons? What would you recommend me getting as my future 3 hens? (note: I need a cold hardy bird because I live in the snow)

Any input is appreciated! Thanks :)

2. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    I would wait till they are bigger to add them since they are a lot smaller then the 2 week old chicks. I would suggest getting barred rocks, Rhode Island reds, brahmas, any heavy breed chicken will do pretty well in cold wether. I live in Michigan so we have to go with those type of chickens cause they lay pretty well. Those are just a few types but there are lot more to choose from.

3. Dougie23

Dougie23 New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Thank you AnimalLover 342! I was thinking about those 3 breeds you recommended. I really like the barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds, I think they are just gorgeous from the pictures I've seen. I'm in southern California, but up in the Mountains, so we get snow!

4. Animal lover342

Aug 7, 2013
    Haha you're welcome and they are very beautiful. They are pretty easy going breeds too, usually not aggressive towards each other like some breeds can be.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I vote Barred Rocks!!!

I'd get them and see how the do together under close supervision, you never know it might but okay but it could turn ugly fast. Best option if they don't do well together would be to brood them in something that they could share (see each other) without being actually with each other.

6. Animal lover342

Aug 7, 2013
    Since they are young I wouldn't worry too much about them fighting but they could. But you definitely want to get them soon so there is not too much of an age difference and less likely for it to go bad when introducing them. But there will be a pecking order and that is normal. But if you want to go with ChirpyChicks1 idea too of letting them see each other before introducing them is a good idea and might help too If there is a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by