Adding to our Flock

ReelFaster

Songster
Feb 16, 2021
S.Jersey
Hi folks, pretty new to the forum and a new chicken owner as well. We originally planned on getting 5 - 6 chickens but were only able to barely find 4 a few weeks ago, we'd really like to add 2 more to the flock, however I was unaware that by waiting a pecking order had been established and I'd have to slowly introduce them.

I know there are tons of threads already asking this question and tons of information on the web about doing this so I apologize for beating a dead horse. I've read many of those threads and content online, however none of them really mention what to do at night?

I get the basics, quarantine them, keep them separated but close to each other so they can get acquainted, own food and water, etc... but what to do at night? Should they go into the coop with the rest of the gang?

I have a decent sized run and I have room where I can separate them fairly easily but hung up on what to with them at night. Thanks so much in advance for your time and help.

hung up on what to with them at night.
How old are they? Are they old enough to be roosting? That might influence your decision some.

Kind of hard to answer because my brooder is in the coop and I don't know how old your chickens are or will be. I have no idea what your main coop looks like. When I open the brooder at 5 weeks I don't care where they sleep as long as it is not the nests and is somewhere predator safe. I let those chicks sleep wherever they wish. My coop is big enough that they can avoid the adults. Since they were raised with the flock and I have a lot of room inside and outside integration isn't a problem.

Sometimes when the main coop is crowded I move some juveniles to my grow-out coop. I wait until they range with the flock for a few weeks during the day before I move them back to sleep in the main coop.

My suggestion is to not force them together at night until you are comfortable they can mingle during the day without issues. When you do put them together, be down there first thing in the morning to see how they are doing. With mine I've never had an issue with them locked in there together, but my coop looks different from yours.

I keep them separate overnight during the 'look, don't touch' period but I've never given the issue much thought because my set up allows that separation. If all you have is the coop for overnight maybe the newbies can overnight in a dog kennel in the coop - or run if coop doesn't have the space?

How old are they? Are they old enough to be roosting? That might influence your decision some.

Kind of hard to answer because my brooder is in the coop and I don't know how old your chickens are or will be. I have no idea what your main coop looks like. When I open the brooder at 5 weeks I don't care where they sleep as long as it is not the nests and is somewhere predator safe. I let those chicks sleep wherever they wish. My coop is big enough that they can avoid the adults. Since they were raised with the flock and I have a lot of room inside and outside integration isn't a problem.

Sometimes when the main coop is crowded I move some juveniles to my grow-out coop. I wait until they range with the flock for a few weeks during the day before I move them back to sleep in the main coop.

My suggestion is to not force them together at night until you are comfortable they can mingle during the day without issues. When you do put them together, be down there first thing in the morning to see how they are doing. With mine I've never had an issue with them locked in there together, but my coop looks different from yours.
Thanks for the reply!

They are all between 5 - 18 months old and laying. The Plymouth Rock is the youngest, she just started laying few weeks ago. There is a def pecking order established with the plymouth rock and the easter egger being at the top and the two buffs lower on the pecking order, and the one buff for sure at the bottom as the other buff picks on her sometimes with food around.

My coop isn't that big, but big enough to hold at least 3 or 4 more but only adding 2 so I am not over crowding them.

I keep them separate overnight during the 'look, don't touch' period but I've never given the issue much thought because my set up allows that separation. If all you have is the coop for overnight maybe the newbies can overnight in a dog kennel in the coop - or run if coop doesn't have the space?

That's what I was thinking of doing, a small makeshift coop in the run for them protected. I just need to wait till the weather is a bit warmer as we are still getting a few days here and there with temps below freezing at night. Thanks for the reply!

however none of them really mention what to do at night?
That's because it often does not work out well.
The premise is that they will wake up and not notice the new birds.
Like @bobbi-j sez: "chickens aren't the brightest animals on this planet, but they're not that stupid." :gig

My coop isn't that big, but big enough to hold at least 3 or 4 more but only adding 2 so I am not over crowding them.
How big is that in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would really help here.
Space is the most important thing when integrating, IMO.

If you are getting chicks, I've found this works out best:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

That's because it often does not work out well.
The premise is that they will wake up and not notice the new birds.
Like @bobbi-j sez: "chickens aren't the brightest animals on this planet, but they're not that stupid." :gig

How big is that in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would really help here.
Space is the most important thing when integrating, IMO.

If you are getting chicks, I've found this works out best:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Thanks for the reply!

I assume you are referring to it not working out well with adding them with the others at night in the main coop. I think I have an idea and will setup a small coop separated but close to the other ladies in the run when weather breaks for good.

Its' roughly a 5x5 coop with a 8x10 run area. I plan to supervise free range them once they are comfortable and trusting of me and the weather breaks and the bugs are out.

Back
Top Bottom