Adding to the flock

Flycropper

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Central Arkansas
I have a small flock of 5 pullets that I raised up from chicks. I am considering adding 3 more hens to them this week.

Should I gradually introduce them to each other by keeping them separated by wire/cage.

Or

Can I put them all together and if over aggressive behavior starts then separate and let them adjust to each other through wire partition?

gradually introduce them to each other by keeping them separated by wire/cage.

let them get use to each other first
and you always keep new chickens separated in case they might be sick

Do you already have these new ones? Have they had the 4-6 week quarantine? If not, be sure you keep them from even breathing the same air as your first ones for at least a month before you introduce them. Where are you getting the new hens?

Wow quarantined for 4 weeks? I don't have that kind of set up yet. I have one coop and one run that is well protected from predators.

Guess I should hold off and and raise my own chicks again.

Hi,

Quarantining is a very good idea and is highly recommended.

Other than that, just yesterday I removed the wire divider between two sets of chicks (two 12-week-old Buff Orp's and five 8-week-old Silkie/Polish mixes) and all went very well. It was as though they were together the whole time. I'm sure it also depends on the breed as mine are generally very docile.

Good luck with your chickens! Genie

Back
Top Bottom