Adding to the Flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Joules Newton, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Joules Newton

Joules Newton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    I have 2 leghorn pullets and a rooster (Easter chicks) and I would like to add to my flock. My 2 have not started laying yet, but I think one of them is close. Her comb and waddle have turned bring red. Any suggestions? Know of anyone in the north Texas area that sells pullets. I really think I only want to add 2 to 3. Thanks, Joules

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in northeast Texas, but we haven't lived there in so long now, that I don't really know who has chickens there anymore. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Are you wanted to add more Leghorns or are you looking at other breeds as well? Be sure to get all pullets, no cockerels, as you already have a rooster and the recommended ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as roosters can be very hard on hens physically; over-breeding them, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many). Good luck in getting some more pullets.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. I agree with Michael re: roosters

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You also might want to post a pic of this suspected bird so we can have a look see. Could be an early pullet or possibly a cockerel.

But if you are going to add to your flock, definitely read the article that Sumi linked for you. You need to mix birds in slowly over several weeks time from behind a cage or fenced off area. You can't just throw them all in together without a lot of blood shed and possible death.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You need to quarantine the new birds for at least 2 weeks before any introducing.

The easiest method is the "see but don't touch" method. This involves placing a barrier in between the two groups of birds so they can meet and see each other but not reach and peck each other. After at least 2-3 weeks you can let them mix. Make sure to provide extra waterers, feeders and hideaways. It'll take them a bit to sort themselves out but it should all work out.

Good luck!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  9. Joules Newton

Joules Newton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014