Adding two hens to my four

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
In a couple of days, I am taking in a couple of 2 year old hens that will join my flock of four, around the same age.

From what I understand....
These two should be entirely separate for two weeks to look for illness.
I should deworm them from the start, just in case.

After two weeks, I should began slowly introducing them to my girls. I have a temporary small run for this inside my permanent run.

Am I missing something? Please, please share advice!

Also, with it being cold outside (typically in the 30s)....and I believe I will have to keep the new new hens indoors (no garage or basement) at first (2 weeks) will putting them outside and that temperature change be dangerous?

Ok. What am I looking for as far as illness in the new girls? Just the obvious symptoms I assume?
Pretty much anything that isn't right. Coughing, sneezing, wheezing, discharge, lethargy, limping, mites/lice, diarrhea, worms, weight loss, etc. I, personally, would quarantine for longer (I quarantined my ducks for a month), but I know that can be difficult without help.

Quarantine protocol has a lot to do with what you saw when you got them, what you notice when they are home / can do a more complete inspection, and how much you know/ trust the source based on observation and conversations.

I have a friend I trust- bought a drake, put him straight in w my other duck hens, as I had sold several other ducks the same day.... and they accepted him readily. It was a gamble (I was worried about flock dynamics, not health issues)
I know her flock and she does a great job caring for them. They never had any issues at all. (Got lucky, I know. But. I’m not sorry about that 😂)

I bought a group of 9 hens yesterday.... their owner seemed great from conversations.... they will be wormed, checked over for everything, long quarantine.... they are not in good shape. I was happy to get them to a better place.
But we have.... a long row to hoe 😕

That is pretty much what I do. When you introduce them make sure you monitor them. There will be pecking but as long as it is not too much it is okay. Also I recommend having a section of the roost that is separated by chicken wire for the new hens to sleep in.

That is pretty much what I do. When you introduce them make sure you monitor them. There will be pecking but as long as it is not too much it is okay. Also I recommend having a section of the roost that is separated by chicken wire for the new hens to sleep in.
Thanks. The wire is an easy fix!

Quarantine protocol has a lot to do with what you saw when you got them, what you notice when they are home / can do a more complete inspection, and how much you know/ trust the source based on observation and conversations.

I have a friend I trust- bought a drake, put him straight in w my other duck hens, as I had sold several other ducks the same day.... and they accepted him readily. It was a gamble (I was worried about flock dynamics, not health issues)
I know her flock and she does a great job caring for them. They never had any issues at all. (Got lucky, I know. But. I’m not sorry about that 😂)

I bought a group of 9 hens yesterday.... their owner seemed great from conversations.... they will be wormed, checked over for everything, long quarantine.... they are not in good shape. I was happy to get them to a better place.
But we have.... a long row to hoe 😕
I don't know how they really love now although i believe they've mostly loved off of scratch.

Back
Top Bottom