Adding ventilation to incubator need help.

Hey neighbor. I assume this is a hard shell cooler like a coleman etc. if you have a drill and at least say 1/2 inch bit drill a couple of holes in the sides say 2 on each end and insert a 1/2 od ( outside diameter ) pipe just flush on the inside and out. If you loose to much heat or humidity you can always plug the pipe holes with something. You need ventilation somehow .

Ditto. I drilled my holes directly opposite each other in my cooler- bator (on the long ends). I use a cork to plug the holes as humidity decreases. You'll also need the holes for air exchange. Good luck!

Ventilation is key to a successful hatch, our coolerbator has 1/4 in holes around the bottom and a few around the top plus two larger 1/2 holes one is near the fan. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubator-incubator

below is a paste from article https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
Areas of MOST IMPORTANCE in Hatching EGGS

Ventilation (Oxygen), Temperature, Humidity, Egg Turning/Positioning

VENTILATION (OXYGEN)
Ventilation is VERY important during the incubation process. While the embryo is developing, oxygen enters the egg through the shell and carbon dioxide escapes. The embryo's oxygen requirement will increases during development and especially just before hatching when they begin lung functions. Unobstructed ventilation holes, both above and below the eggs, are essential for proper air exchange. I remove both vent plugs for my entire hatch.
NOTE: When Lockdown occurs, vent openings are frequently restricted in an attempt to boost incubator humidity. Instead of helping the chick hatch, the chick is suffocated from lack of oxygen. Never decrease ventilation openings at hatching in an attempt to increase humidity. Increase humidity by other methods. If any vent adjustments are made, they should be opened more. Try adding a dampened sponge or towel to help boost humidity during lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom