Adding water during lockdown.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AlienChick, Nov 14, 2011.

1. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    What are some of the ways you guys are adding water during lockdown?

I have a Hovabator 1588. My last hatch I opened the lid slightly and added water through a straw.

Is there a way to add water without opening it every time?

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

If it has the air holes in the top, then inject water using a meat injector. That's how I do it. I have about 4 air holes in the top for air flow and just stick the injector through the holes, aim, and shoot!

1 person likes this.
  3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Im glad you posted this because Im going into lockdown tomorrow!! Thanks!! [​IMG]

4. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I attach a straw to a small funnel and stick the straw through the air holes.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use a straw and a bottle and put the straw through the hole where the plug goes. I use warm water as if the water is too cold the temp will drop and if the water is too hot the temp will rise.

[​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    For my 1588, I stuck a few of those straws with accordian joints together so I can reach any reservoir in the bottom. You'll probably need to play with it a bit, but with a little practice I can bend those straws and use a syringe to put water in any reservoir I want to.

I agree to use warm water, not hot. Those insulated incubators do not shed extra heat too well, so they can get a little hot if you use hot water. Heat is more of a problem than cool.

I don't worry about it being a bit cool, because the heater will heat it back up pretty quickly. The core temperature of those eggs won't drop that fast. But the closer to incubating temperature it is, I think the better.

7. FlyingJRanch

FlyingJRanch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Wonderful advise! Thanks!!

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Thank you! The plastic straw through the air hole works. I squirt it with a syringe.

Do any of you use dye in the water?? Will it permanently dye the plastic tray??

I kinda find it difficult to actually see how much water is in the tray; so I really just do not know how much I am adding.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by