Adding water to chicken layer feed daily is this ok?

Pics

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hello chicken friends! I have added some water to my 5 hens pellet layer feed. They eat it all up really quickly and love it. Heres my question, is it ok to offer a free choice wet pellet mash daily? I Wasnt sure if the hardness of the pellets is necessary for the gizzard or crop or something! One gal has a broken beak tip and the soft pellet is great for her. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and time!! 🐓❤️

I don't see where it would hurt them at all, as long as it's fresh every day. The water in the feed will help to keep them hydrated, and should help with easier digestion of the food. The fact that they love to eat the wet feed, mean's that they are eating more of it. People feed their flock's that fermented feed too.

I do this during the summer using crumble feed and cold water. I offer it once a day, every 3rd day I add a probiotics and electrolytes to the mix.
I like the all in one electrolytes & probiotics by Rooster Booster.
I leave it out for about 2 hours. It is too hot here to leave it for very long because it sours.
You should make sure that they have access to grit at all times.
Mine love the Brown's Encore grit. ( It smells like licorice. )
For my rooster that has a broken upper beak, I add a little grit into the mix. I feed him once a day by himself, otherwise he let's the hens have it all. I'm planning to grind a little off his bottom beak when I trim his spurs. I think it will help him a little.

I offer wet mash almost every day (sometimes I'm lazy).

No health concerns.

I would not recommend putting a week's worth of wet mash out at a time - there's a real risk that things in the air may colonize it, and not all of those things are necessarily beneficial. Depending on your climate, you might want to consider offering fermented feed - much the same benefits as wet mash, but b deliberately colonizing it with beneficial things, its much more resistant to undesired things taking hold if you leave quantities out for extended periods.

I do this during the summer using crumble feed and cold water. I offer it once a day, every 3rd day I add a probiotics and electrolytes to the mix.
I like the all in one electrolytes & probiotics by Rooster Booster.
I leave it out for about 2 hours. It is too hot here to leave it for very long because it sours.
You should make sure that they have access to grit at all times.
Mine love the Brown's Encore grit. ( It smells like licorice. )
For my rooster that has a broken upper beak, I add a little grit into the mix. I feed him once a day by himself, otherwise he let's the hens have it all. I'm planning to grind a little off his bottom beak when I trim his spurs. I think it will help him a little.
Oh wow! Well good luck with that! Cool tip about the electrolytes in the feed. I did that the other day, but seeing they eat it all so quick that i wasnt sure they would be getting too much save a chic electrolytes 🤷‍♀️ Tryin' my best but good to know about the wet feed. So, that essentially is how fermented feed is made but letting it sit to release goodies? Today i washed a chickens butt for the first time. A mini bath i suppose. Poor little darlin' cant reach her behind shes so big!

No health concerns.

I would not recommend putting a week's worth of wet mash out at a time - there's a real risk that things in the air may colonize it, and not all of those things are necessarily beneficial. Depending on your climate, you might want to consider offering fermented feed - much the same benefits as wet mash, but b deliberately colonizing it with beneficial things, its much more resistant to undesired things taking hold if you leave quantities out for extended periods.
Thank you. I suppose my knowledge about fermentation goes something like this:
- take pellets, put in container (not many for 5 hens)
-cover with water about 1/2inch
-place lid hand tight
- store in cool dry place
-stir 12 hrs later and again for maybe 2 days
- use a strainer to remove feed and throw the liquid away

I have no idea if this is anywhere near accurate. Can anyone polish my approach? Thank you 🐓❤️

Thank you. I suppose my knowledge about fermentation goes something like this:
- take pellets, put in container (not many for 5 hens)
-cover with water about 1/2inch
-place lid hand tight
- store in cool dry place
-stir 12 hrs later and again for maybe 2 days
- use a strainer to remove feed and throw the liquid away

I have no idea if this is anywhere near accurate. Can anyone polish my approach? Thank you 🐓❤️
There is a good article on fermented feed here on byc but I don't remember the name of the article. I'll try and find it.
I believe @DobieLover ferments her feed.

No health concerns.

I agree I do it fresh every day and they love it. By a.m. they have finished it. I also would not do too much at a time cause it's gets nasty in summer, plus they live the coolness of it. At least I know they are getting a balanced meal each day. ( plus you're the queen that brings goodies!)
You have it down correct on fermenting I fed this all winter with 3 quarts rotating them ony counter. Fermented for at least 2-3 days till it smells like mash.

Back
Top Bottom