1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding Water To IncuBator? Button Quail Eggs In and I Don't Have a Humidity Measure

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Feather Hearts, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Out Of The Brooder

Has anyone incubated button quail? I have nothing to measure humidity, and only six eggs, I can't afford to lose any. So can you give me measuring cup answers?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Go to the nearest pet supply store and pick up a cheap humidity gauge from the reptile section. You need to know how much humidity is in the incubator. Humidity is about surface area, not volume. Measurements are useless. 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of water can give you the same humidity reading, if they are distributed across the same amount of surface area.

3. abot87

abot87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there.

Like Junebuggena said; you'll need to get a humidity probe asap.

Humidity is measured by surface area and not the volume of water.

* If your humidity is too low you run the risk of your eggs drying out (this is a common issue when incubating button quail), as well as hatching difficulty due to the membrane not being properly saturated.

* If your humidity is to high, the eggs won't be able to develop at a normal rate. This could cause a late hatch or the chicks simply wither away without you being aware.

Humidity, is a very important aspect of incubation. There is room for reasonable fluctuation, unlike the temperate requirement, but it's best to keep the incubator running at the prescribed optimal set values for incubation.

Hope it helps.
    ABOT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by