Adding water to incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Schroeder, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I have a new Little Giant (Miller Co.) incubator with fan and automatic turner. This will be my first attempt to hatch eggs. It says to add water to the channels in the bottom of the styrofoam container but not to open the incubator during incubation. This doesn't make sense to me. How am I to replenish the water without taking the top completely off?

2. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    I use a syringe with a straw on the end to get it in the channels.

PS Dont get it on the eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Go to a tackle shop and get a syringe that is used to flaot worms. Then go to a pet store and get some of the tubing they use for air. Put the two together and you can fill the replace the water during incubation wothout opening the bator.
    You can open the bator from time to time to candle the eggs, but DO NOT
    leave it open for any lenght of time.

4. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Great qustion!! Great ideas. I was wondering the same thing. Thanks Mike

5. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I've used tubing on a syringe, but I find that kind of difficult to angle down a ventilation hole and hit the right well.

Now I'm using a bendy straw, I position it, then use a syringe to "pour" the water down the straw. Much faster and easier than the tubing, and I can get to all the different wells from one ventilation hole.

6. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    I use a straw and syringe. The best of luck with your hatching! MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR EGGS! [​IMG]

7. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    what is the humidity in the room you have the incubator in?

I live in Alaska and the humidity in the house is less than 15%. so I am wondering if that changes the humidity necessary in the incubator?

my temp is holding steady at 99.5 w/fan and humidity in the incubator is holding at 43.5%.....

ETA: I have some eggs to test from my Flock.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  8. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Wow, thanks for all the quick responses. The humidity in our house is 33% to 35%. I have a syringe that came with the bator but I hadn't thought of the tubing. Is it safe to assume I just keep some water in the bottom without carefully monitoring the humidity inside? I'm going to hatch coturnix quail initially, which I'm told are not real finicky about the humidity level.

Edit: I just saw this thread which answers my question and gives a lot of great information on humidity. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113681

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by