Adding wire on top of t-post run

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
I have a 30'x20' fenced area that is made out of t-posts and 6 foot 2x4 welded wire. Also 18" hardware cloth around the bottom. I use it for broody hens + chicks, hold extra roosters, etc. It is not secure but usually no one is there for long. Would like to upgrade it to a more permanent/secure thing with wire roof.

I'm thinking about adding wedge-loc holders to the t-posts. The holders will hold 2x4s, and then I will staple chicken wire to it. Then add tarp or shade cloth depending on the season. https://kencove.com/fence/Wedge+Loc+2x42x6+Holder_detail_HW2H.php

Has anyone used wedge-loc holders for roof? Will that be predator-proof? We have lots of coyotes and raccoons.

Rebar is great for bolstering poured concrete, but not meant for structural framing.
Would still need support in the middle.
Sorry for my stupid question but how does a 2-car garage manage to have a roof with nothing in the middle?

Sorry for my stupid question but how does a 2-car garage manage to have a roof with nothing in the middle?
Usually roofs have trusses that are built to span the needed length. Trusses are typically an inverted "V" with horizontal wooden boards tying each side together with angled boards that run from each side down to the horizontal board.

1690831507184.png

These angled boards transfer the weight of the roof to the outside walls and through those side walls to the foundation.

Optionally, beams can be used that are either big enough to support the needed weigh or are engineered (top and bottom boards with an intermediate web holding the top and bottom together). the depth of the web determines how much weight each will hold. Again the beam transfers the weight to the outside walls and down to the foundation.

1690831887363.png

Back
Top Bottom