Adding wood ash to sand Coop run

ChickenMaman

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2023
Good afternoon,

I have a covered run in Vermont that has sand and diatomaceous earth in it. Throughout the year when it rains heavily, or when it snows heavily or when the ground freezes, the run will absorb water from the Earth. Then it will dry out again and be usable.

I’ve been wanting to add wood ash to my sand run to prevent lice on my chickens. I also know it’s a good source of calcium for them. But water plus ash = lye.

Does anybody who lives in a wet climate use wood ash and their sand coop? How much sand for how much wood ash? Ever have any problems creating lie when the mixture gets wet if it’s mostly sand?

Im not sure why my reply didn’t post. Yes they do but it has almost cleared up. One of my broody hens seemed to spread it through the flock. She got the wrist of it and I didn’t realize till she was anemic.

I cleaned out their coop thoroughly and dusted it with de. Every morning I’ve been (carefully) rubbing de into their feathers. That has helped a lot. I just have to keep doing it until the lice life cycle ends.

Some iron in their water - poultry cell - has helped them recover from their anemia. Combs look much more red now.

Wood ash if wet turns mushy and hardens like a rock when dry, I wouldn't myself use it in a wet climate.

We often use it for muddy areas on our farm because once it dries it helps sodify the area.

Back
Top Bottom