Adding Wood Shavings

ChickensXOXO

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
The Carolinas
I have 4 Silkies in a 10 x 10 wire dog kennel, and I wanted to add wood shavings to help keep them clean. I added some a couple weeks ago, and after a few windy days, almost all of them blew out the pen.

What would be the best idea for keeping the shavings in?

Add the smaller chicken wire around the bottom, boards around the bottom, or something else?

Thanks!

How about using something else. I was thinking maybe the small chunky bark pieces some people use as mulch or in their decorative flower beds. They are heavy and won't blow away as easily. They will be more expensive in the long run but you won't have to replace it as much either. Only thing is you have to make sure it's not treated with anything that's going to harm your silkies. Your local garden center should have some in bulk or in bags.

How about using something else. I was thinking maybe the small chunky bark pieces some people use as mulch or in their decorative flower beds. They are heavy and won't blow away as easily. They will be more expensive in the long run but you won't have to replace it as much either. Only thing is you have to make sure it's not treated with anything that's going to harm your silkies. Your local garden center should have some in bulk or in bags.

I might give that a try. Anyone here use them? Any downsides? Is it clean?
hu.gif

I hate to add sand. Would rather use some type of wood shavings/chips.

Thank you both for you input!

Last edited:
I really like pine pellets. They are aromatic, absorbant, easy for them to scratch at and they can be scattered in your garden or on your lawn when you are done with them.

idk how deep because i don't use it. But some people on here swear by it and you could just use a litter box scoop to pick up the "presents". But whatever you choose good luck. When my run gets muddy i just through pine needles in there because i have plenty of pine trees which always shed so its a win-win for me.

I use bark nuggets and they're great. Water runs past and they just disappear and you top them up. (auto compost.)

If the get muddy, admire till you're back above the tide mark again

Back
Top Bottom