Adding Wood Shavings

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickensXOXO, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    I have 4 Silkies in a 10 x 10 wire dog kennel, and I wanted to add wood shavings to help keep them clean. I added some a couple weeks ago, and after a few windy days, almost all of them blew out the pen.

What would be the best idea for keeping the shavings in?

Add the smaller chicken wire around the bottom, boards around the bottom, or something else?

Thanks!

2. Redrhodies

Redrhodies New Egg

Nov 15, 2010
    How about using something else. I was thinking maybe the small chunky bark pieces some people use as mulch or in their decorative flower beds. They are heavy and won't blow away as easily. They will be more expensive in the long run but you won't have to replace it as much either. Only thing is you have to make sure it's not treated with anything that's going to harm your silkies. Your local garden center should have some in bulk or in bags.

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    you could try sand.

4. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    I might give that a try. Anyone here use them? Any downsides? Is it clean? [​IMG]

I hate to add sand. Would rather use some type of wood shavings/chips.

Thank you both for you input!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Hmm... I might just go with sand to make this easier on me! lol

I wonder how deep I need it.

6. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    I really like pine pellets. They are aromatic, absorbant, easy for them to scratch at and they can be scattered in your garden or on your lawn when you are done with them.

7. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    idk how deep because i don't use it. But some people on here swear by it and you could just use a litter box scoop to pick up the "presents". But whatever you choose good luck. When my run gets muddy i just through pine needles in there because i have plenty of pine trees which always shed so its a win-win for me.

8. BigRedNZ

BigRedNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I use bark nuggets and they're great. Water runs past and they just disappear and you top them up. (auto compost.)

If the get muddy, admire till you're back above the tide mark again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by