Adding Wyandottes?

I have three red-laced blue Wyandottes. They pretty much keep to themselves and leave everybody else alone, although they are still fairly young. Sadly, two are developing saddle feathers and so will have to go - I don't need any more roos!

We have two hatchery SLWs and they are at the bottom of the pecking order. They are not the friendliest of our birds but come for treats and once caught will calmly sit on our laps. We have 8 young chicks to integrate into the flock in a few weeks. They had a short encounter with the older flock yesterday and the only ones who pecked on them were the Wyandottes. We'll see how it goes in a few more weeks when we actually put them together. I think that Sterling and Beauty were glad to have someone below them in order so got a few pecks in while they could. Our top BA hen is militant about keeping them in line!

So, after watching my Wyandotte chase around my cochins last night yet again, I've decided to give her away. The good news is that my post to CL was replied to immediately, and she now has a home in a flock of Wyandottes nearby.

*sigh* now I have to deal with my DH pouting.... :p

You can find ornery hens from any breed. Alot of it can be temperment issues in a particular line or just random personality quirks. I have read several posts were a breed gets bashed due to a few bad apples. As a whole I do not think it is fair to tje breeds as their are breeders who do work hard to keep flocks with good temperment and promote those breeds.

The only way to know if a breed is right for you is to research the breed amd if you find the breed sounds like what you want then get a few hens to try.

Quote:
I so agree with this. Your chickens will have their own personalities which may or may not reflect their supposed breed traits. The head hen in my oldest group is a buff orpington, which, according to what I had read, was most likely going to be at the bottom of the group. On the other hand, I bought a white leghorn, even though I had been told that this was a flighty breed. She became a favorite and I went back and bought a couple more.
hu.gif
I have two Wyandottes and have no problems with them at all. If you like this breed, then I say go for it.

Back
Top Bottom