Adding yet ANOTHER chick?! Question!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenkassai, Jun 19, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Sooo...hubby made the mistake yesterday of saying he thought it might be interesting to have a red colored chicken mixed in with my variety of what will be black, black and white and white with black. That was all I needed to hear, sounded like he was basically giving permission to get another chick, or is that just my interpretation? [​IMG]

Anyways, I found a local person with some Speckled Sussex chicks, 6 days old. Sounds like an interesting breed, and I think they are pretty. If hubby likes how they look I am all for getting one or two. My question is...would I need to quarantine it/them from my current "flock" (can you call them a flock when they are babies?!) of 2 and 3 week olds? I don't know that I have the space for that. And if I did need to quarantine, for how long?

Thx!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If you are getting one or two from a reputable breeder, then I wouldn't quarantine such a small chick from the others. Look it/them over, and if you think it is healthy, comes from a healthy place, then I would mix it in. If you wait too long with chicks, then THEY become difficult to mix together due to the pecking order, which begins to form around 2 or 3 weeks old. And keeping a lone chick is never a good idea. So I would go ahead and mix them. [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Yes, keep them separated for a month before introducing. You don't want to chance getting the others sick. I love my speckled Sussex. She is a very sweet girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by