Adding Young chickens to older chickens

oliver27

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Hi I have 6 chickens that are 21 weeks old. I also have 9 chickens that are 7 weeks old. When can i put the 7 week old chickens in with the 21 week old. Thanks for your input.

Usually there is less attacking if they are all about the same size, but there will be pecking whenever you do it, as they reestablish the pecking order. You could try it now, supervised, with hiding places and distractions, if you want. If they are penned next to each other but with a fence between for a few weeks first, this seems to help them get used to each other. I would be prepared to separate quickly if blood is drawn.

You could combine them now as none of them are fully mature. If they are penned, make sure you have enough space (minimum of 8 square feet per bird, and another 4 square feet inside.) I think that outside roosts go a long way to alleviating stress. Make sure the feeders and waterers aren't in corners where a bird can be trapped by a bully. Distract them! Several pumpkin halves will keep them busy pecking. I have more here about introducing new birds:
http://hencam.com/faq/introducing-new-hens/

Back
Top Bottom