adding younger pullets to the barn- what to do about nest box?

katydidit

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
I've got a dozen pullets that are about 10 weeks old that I've had separated from my laying hens by a temporary fence across their run. I would like to remove the fence soon, but I'm cocerned about the young girls and the nest boxes. I've always read that you dont introduce the young girls to nest boxes until they are about ready to lay- but since I have layers in the barn too, I cant exactly take the nest boxes away.

I've tried searching for this- as I'm sure many people encounter this problem. What do I do? Do i have to keep them separate until the pullets get closer to laying age?

Mine grow up with the flock. When young, some groups have slept in one nest box, but moved to the roost at some point, before point of lay, on their own. JME.

Ok, My little girls already roost (and fight over the best spot), so maybe they will continue to do so and not mess with the nest boxes until they are ready?? Its worth hoping for anyhow. Anyone have a reason NOT to introduce them at this age?

I say go for it....mine figured it out quickly and they didn't roost until after they started laying - they didn't know what a roost was when I brought them home!

Back
Top Bottom