additional protein feed

TracyandEmori

Hatching
Oct 1, 2016
Central Florida
Hi all! Wanted to get input from others about added protein in chicken feed. Currently I am feeding the standard 16% but have been advised to feed a higher level protein for the problem of my layers that are not laying as much as they were. I have 10 (black sex linked, americana, brahma, australorpe and Sicilian buttercup), used to average 7 eggs a day. As of the beginning of sumer (We are central Florida) they dropped back, significantly. I thought it may be due to the excessive heat..its been awful! So anyway...long story short they have not regained their laying stride. I talked to the feed store and they said protein could be the issue. To bump it up. I bought a 22% today and mixed it into their current feed (approx 3 cup 16% to 1 cup 22%). Was a little afraid to do it all at once.

Any advice or anyone that has tried this and had results?

How old are your birds? Are any molting, and do you have a light on in the early morning so they have 14 hours of light per day? Any stress will lower egg production; too hot, too cold, visiting predators, whatever. I feed Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side, (20% protein) and very limited scratch, and free range. Egg production isn't 'steady state' for so many reasons! Optimize their living conditions, and enjoy. Mary

Thank you! A couple had a mini molt, but not what I'd call a full blown molt, back in September.. The youngest (all the sex links) are a little over a year, the others are 3. No light in the coop but they have open skylight. They free range every afternoon from about 4:30 til they go to roost (usually around 6:45).
I'd think it was the light issue if this problem was only starting but it's been since summer...so maybe it's the stress of the heat, light change combo...?

Hi all! Wanted to get input from others about added protein in chicken feed. Currently I am feeding the standard 16% but have been advised to feed a higher level protein for the problem of my layers that are not laying as much as they were. I have 10 (black sex linked, americana, brahma, australorpe and Sicilian buttercup), used to average 7 eggs a day. As of the beginning of sumer (We are central Florida) they dropped back, significantly. I thought it may be due to the excessive heat..its been awful! So anyway...long story short they have not regained their laying stride. I talked to the feed store and they said protein could be the issue. To bump it up. I bought a 22% today and mixed it into their current feed (approx 3 cup 16% to 1 cup 22%). Was a little afraid to do it all at once.

Any advice or anyone that has tried this and had results?
Giving them higher protein feed will not make them lay more eggs. They are laying less eggs because it is hot and they are going on 2 years old.

In the heat they need vitamins and elctrolytes. You can get a lot of different brands but the lower cost one that is sold at feed stores and TSC works fine.

Nutreena sells a feed called feather fixer that works great getting them through a molt. That will likely start in a couple more months though.

Feather fixer is essentially the same as multi flock. do your home work and a price comparison before spending extra on feather fixer (if it is more costly!)

As for electrolytes, you can make your own in about 1 minute from common ingredients found in any kitchen.

Agreed on the vitamins. Also check mill dates on feed, and plan to have feed fed out by the time it is 6 weeks past mill date. Store feed in as close to cool and dry condition as you can provide.

Feather Fixer has a maximum of 3.75% calcium & a minimum of 3.25%, so it is not like an all flock feed. It is a great feed & obviously some nutritionist thinks the calcium level is OK for molting birds.

Back
Top Bottom