Additive for soft eggs?

McChics

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2015
I saw someone say something about something to give ducks for soft shell eggs.

What is is? I’ve put the oyster shells in with feed but they eat around it.

We usually recommend 23% Calcium Gluconate for ducks that are laying softies repeatedly. You'll be able to buy the Gluconate online, or at a feed store (Like TSC). Simply, draw out 1ml and give PO to the duck/s in question once. You can do this repeatedly until the problem resolves.

What are you feeding them, the brand?

It's best to provide the oyster shells in a separate dish, instead of mixing it in with their feed.

i use egg shells crushed up and put in water

You put eggshells in their water? Never quite heard that one before.. That sounds hazardous nonetheless.

We usually recommend 23% Calcium Gluconate for ducks that are laying softies repeatedly. You'll be able to buy the Gluconate online, or at a feed store (Like TSC). Simply, draw out 1ml and give PO to the duck/s in question once. You can do this repeatedly until the problem resolves.

What are you feeding them, the brand?

It's best to provide the oyster shells in a separate dish, instead of mixing it in with their feed.

You put eggshells in their water? Never quite heard that one before.. That sounds hazardous nonetheless.
not in their normal water. i give her egg shells but i put them in a bowl of seperate water because she won’t eat stuff without water.

What kind of oyster shell are you feeding? I used to give my ducks the white kind that you buy on Amazon in a little bag. It claims to be pure and I thought I was saving them from ocean pollution. They would barely touch it. Eventually I ran out of the white kind and bought some in bulk from our local feed store - the grey kind that actually looks like oyster shell. My ducks really like the grey kind!! I put it in a bowl they have constant free access to. When they are laying they run to have a few bites after every meal or foraging walk. They seem to know when they need it, because when they aren't laying they don't eat it.

For the first few weeks or so I put a sprinkle of mealworms atop their oyster shells daily to encourage them.

I hope this helps and that you can get them to eat oyster shells in their own. I've had to dose my ducks with calcium gluconate, and while they are worth it it is so much nicer if they just do it themselves!

Sorry guys I have been away from the computer. I have pure white colored oyster shells. I just did another mix with their general food and put another bowl of it near their feeder. This time of year they are chasing grass hoppers and have little interest feeding at the feeder - saves a bundle on feed - but makes it hard to get them to eat what I want unless I lock them up. Which...I may need to do.

I thought there was a liquid of some sort or something to help with this.

Also, they had all been putting eggs out like a grocery story...but with this hot weather I'm now getting spits and sputters...AND they are getting more creative where in the yard they drop them. They were sooooo dependable to put them in their hutch each morning before I let them out to play...now it is all over the place. Nothing like having an easter egg hunt EVERY day!

Sorry guys I have been away from the computer. I have pure white colored oyster shells. I just did another mix with their general food and put another bowl of it near their feeder. This time of year they are chasing grass hoppers and have little interest feeding at the feeder - saves a bundle on feed - but makes it hard to get them to eat what I want unless I lock them up. Which...I may need to do.

I thought there was a liquid of some sort or something to help with this.

Also, they had all been putting eggs out like a grocery story...but with this hot weather I'm now getting spits and sputters...AND they are getting more creative where in the yard they drop them. They were sooooo dependable to put them in their hutch each morning before I let them out to play...now it is all over the place. Nothing like having an easter egg hunt EVERY day!
Calcium gluconate does come in a liquid. You might try switching to the grey oyster shells, though. It sure made a huge difference for me.

Have you ever tried dummy eggs? My ducks insist on laying in poop, in their pool, in their water bucket!!, or anywhere I don't want them to unless I keep a nest of dummy eggs in their sleeping room. Then they lay in with the dummy eggs every time. I figured after years they'd be ok without the dummy eggs, but no. They can't figure it out. Also, ping pong balls work fine. :D

Back
Top Bottom