Addressing muddy run without roof

The conflict is Eastern vs Western Cedar. Western, having less aromatic oils, is generally considered safe. In a run type situation I would consider either fine as there would be plenty of fresh air.
This helps a lot on the cedar, thank you! There’s a lot of air flow so this makes me feel comfortable using it.

How's the drainage...are you getting puddles in the run?

I like coarse wood chippings from a tree trimmer.
Hardwood would last longer.
After a normal rain the drainage is good but it often rains inches and inches at a time leading into summer and then I can’t do much of anything to help.

Our run floor is currently dirt since any leaves we added in the fall and winter were shredded by the girls. So, any rain at all and it becomes very compact and then stinky. I was hoping adding a larger wood chip would help with this.

If I had to choose between large shredded cedar (unknown type) or “playground material chips” described as untreated hardwoods, which would be better?

I'm also in the Dallas area! We are using corrugated tin for the roof of our run. The roof is 6 ft high and the run is well ventilated and is an excellent shade and helps keep the run dry. My experience so far is that the tin doesn't effect the temperature in the run, it's actually cooler under there because of the shade.

Heavy duty shade fabric is also a good option, but it will still get plenty wet in there during our fantastic heavy downpours. But if you have a slant to your roof it will take care of a lot of that letting the rain roll off.

(Or if your anything like me and cheap as hell; if you have a bunch of decent feed bags laying around, you can also cut them flat and layer them on a slant like shingles to wick that water right off. Do it right and you'll have little leakage.)

Yes to the roof (though as to type, I can't advise) and yes to wood chips, as coarse and varied in size as possible, as the big chunks provide both aeration and drainage.
_1030521.JPG

The only time I start seeing mud issues crop up is when I've gone too long without adding chips (like a few years) and the old ones have broken down too much to provide adequate aeration and drainage.

Yes to the roof (though as to type, I can't advise) and yes to wood chips, as coarse and varied in size as possible, as the big chunks provide both aeration and drainage.
View attachment 3785054

The only time I start seeing mud issues crop up is when I've gone too long without adding chips (like a few years) and the old ones have broken down too much to provide adequate aeration and drainage.
what beautiful chickens! I love their coloring.

What’s most available here is coarse pine or cedar mulch/chips or mixed hardwood that is unknown wood type
Where are you planning to buy wood chips? Is it a Co-op? There might be a local place you don't know about. I buy mine from a local place near me and it is much cheaper than a co-op. A truckload is only around twenty dollars. A Co-op will be much more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom