adebayo

welcome-byc.gif

Over time it can effect a rooster because he doesn't need all that calcium. If you can find some sort of flock raiser type feed or even a starter feed that does not have as much calcium as layer feed, you might feed this instead. Keep oystershell on the side for the layers. If you do not have any oystershell then you will have no choice but to feed this to your rooster too. As your hens must have calcium in their diet. Roosters don't need as much and it can damage their kidneys.

Thanks alot you mean if I have oyster shell then i can feed both the rooster and the hen with starter instead of layer mash and the eggs will be fine and pls can you let me if I can get oyster shell from you there and how much will it cost me?

Yes, you can feed starter to your entire flock and keep the oyster shell on the side. The hens will eat it as they need for a good hard shell, and the rooster will not be subject to eating calcium enriched feed.

You will need to go to your feed store for oyster shell. It is pretty cheap to purchase. If you can't find any oyster shell, you can also use cuttlefish bones. You can get these at a pet store in the parrot section. You can put one of these "bones" in a dish to keep it clean and dry, and keep it right next to the feed and water so the hens don't have to go looking for it. They won't, so keep it in their faces around the feed at all times.

Twocrow I need your help my chickens are very skiny what can I do to make them grow fat they are about 12weeks old now.
What are you feeding them? 12 week olds are not all that fat to begin with. They can stay small until they are of laying age.

Again, what are you feeding them??

Back
Top Bottom