Adequate plant protection?

Cklass90

Chirping
Mar 16, 2018
So I'm new at this. I have some mint that grows wild where I made my chicken run and I heard mint is a good thing to have in there. I know they can still peck it but is this adequate protection from being torn up by the roots or will my chickens just scratch this netting right out of the way? I've made a grazing frames just this is quicker

So I'm new at this. I have some mint that grows wild where I made my chicken run and I heard mint is a good thing to have in there. I know they can still peck it but is this adequate protection from being torn up by the roots or will my chickens just scratch this netting right out of the way? I've made a grazing frames just this is quicker

Were you meaning to include a picture? If so, I dont see one. Might just be a glitch on my end.

Thank you! I don't think it had finished loading before I clicked post

Attachments

• IMG_20180320_142404.jpg
    IMG_20180320_142404.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
It happens! And I would say they'll tear that to pieces. If it is possible for them to get there toes or beaks to it, they will destroy any living thing within their reach. You might want to transplant it outside of the run.

It happens! And I would say they'll tear that to pieces. If it is possible for them to get there toes or beaks to it, they will destroy any living thing within their reach. You might want to transplant it outside of the run.
haha ok, or build a better frame around it. I'm not going to be particularly sad if they eat it all up because there is so much of it growing on that side of my yard they're welcome to some of it. i'd just like a few plants in there for shade/hiding/nicer to look at. Any recommendations on things to plant in there that they won't eat? is there such a thing?

I suggest that you save yourself a lot of time and frustration. Give up the idea of "look nice" in the run. It is chicken domain. They have their own ideas of how it should be decorated. Trust me, you would not want to hire them to do your landscaping. You can help them to meet their goals by converting your whole run to a deep litter. They will thank you. You will thank them. B/C, they will stay happy doing the job they were created to do. Your feed bill will go down, their immune systems will be built up, and you will reap lots of gorgeous black gold compost to improve the rest of your landscaping.

Back
Top Bottom