Adequate ventilation?

Everything leaks over time and nothing is forever. It's a better system to have exhaust on the roof. That's why you see you house vent under you overhangs and gable vents with ridge vent or static venting on the top.

This is all wonderful. Thank you so much to everyone who gave suggestions. I really needed the help. This is our first time with chickens and I want them to be as healthy and safe as possible. I think we can add quite a bit of vents that were mentioned and thankfully my husband is incredibly handy (and teaching me as well!) :wee
Don't forget to share updated pics.

Attachments

• A9212A62-847D-420E-8221-D0F0C12A6B86.jpeg
    A9212A62-847D-420E-8221-D0F0C12A6B86.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Don't forget to share updated pics.
I just wanted to add that shade is a chickens best friend in the summertime! Shade over the house or just shading the south or west sides would make the house much cooler. Shade cloth works and so does a variety of vines and shrubs that can add to the esthetic beauty as well. I plant hops vines/ gourds on the hot south side of my covered runs and have some tin/shade cloth on part of the top for shade. Building a coop were it can be at least partially shaded in the afternoon is best but a well shaded coop can be 10 to 20 degrees cooler in the summer than same design in the full sun. I like using the hops because it grows 12 to 18 feet high fast each summer making shade , but then dies down to the ground every winter to allow more sun when it can help warm things up! Best of luck with your flock and your little coop looks well built!

I just wanted to add that shade is a chickens best friend in the summertime! Shade over the house or just shading the south or west sides would make the house much cooler. Shade cloth works and so does a variety of vines and shrubs that can add to the esthetic beauty as well. I plant hops vines/ gourds on the hot south side of my covered runs and have some tin/shade cloth on part of the top for shade. Building a coop were it can be at least partially shaded in the afternoon is best but a well shaded coop can be 10 to 20 degrees cooler in the summer than same design in the full sun. I like using the hops because it grows 12 to 18 feet high fast each summer making shade , but then dies down to the ground every winter to allow more sun when it can help warm things up! Best of luck with your flock and your little coop looks well built!
I love that. I would like to do something like that as well. Right now we have shade cloth put up to block out the afternoon sun. Helps a ton but not very pretty. Maybe we can plant something there eventually. Thank you for passing that along. I wish you all the best as well!!

We have 2 house size windows & where the roof line is the whole top is covered with hardware cloth - also the door for my access has a second door built in that is covered in hardware cloth so basically there is air flow on every side (but one) & the top .
Never notice odor use deep litter with hemp .

Attachments

• AE55FB8B-C324-4F77-8D98-7700C80AE814.jpeg
    AE55FB8B-C324-4F77-8D98-7700C80AE814.jpeg
    855.4 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom