Adjusting Hovabator Genesis temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MoodyChicken, Apr 15, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Hey, I have to adjust my Genesis temperature. It's too cold for a forced air bator and I'm losing eggs now. It's at 98, occasionally 99. I'd rather have it 100-101. I read the "easy" instructions, but they don't sound that easy to me! Help?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I dont have one of these, but I was planning on ordering one in the next day or two. I will use the 1602n as an incubator, and the genesis as a hatcher.

What caused your temperature to drop? I thought it was factory set.

3. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Mine runs 98.5 to 99.2 on the preset. There are instructions on how to adjust the small switches on the fan compartment. Check GQF website. I thought 99 was adequate for a forced air incubator.

4. Stephen in SoKY

Stephen in SoKY Chillin' With My Peeps

There are tiny little levers that you move either up or down. If you can't find which way to switch, let me know & I'll get out my book.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My little levers are set at 4 on both of mine and I have 100% hatches most of the time. What is your setting at?

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    The first 21 days it stayed steady 100. No abnormal problems with the hatch. After that it stayed steady around 99 for about 2 weeks, now it's staying steady at 98 and I'm losing eggs that are fully formed. [​IMG] Seeing as it has a fan and it's full of banty eggs (which supposedly can be incubated a degree or two hotter because they are smaller) I'd much rather have the temperature hover between 100 and 101. I just had an egg pip early and die in there. All signs point to a low temperature.

Are the levers under the little box? I never looked there and I can't see them. How long does it take to readjust? Will my eggs be okay to open it and fix it?

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    there is a whole process to it and each lever has to be moved in a certain order. do you still have the manual? i not I can try to find mine

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:On the contrary, I was reading that bantam eggs should be incubated at a lower temp, with higher humidity so that they do not evaporate too quickly. They are smaller, and have less fluid to evaporate so higher temperatures are supposed to be more worse than good.

This is according to "Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens"....

9. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:I lost 4 silkies today, all were fully formed but never hatched. Mine is steady at 98.5 to 99.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by