Adjusting is hard!

koontzie

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 24, 2012
I have 2 chickens who are about 6 months old--they've grown up together (Barred Rock, Americauna, and Silkie). They are pretty much pals. I had one Silkie that was a rooster and had to go back so replaced him with a her. The new "baby" is now about 2-3 months old. I've had her separated as when she was smaller the other girls would peck her a bit. But, now that she bigger (almost as big as my other Silkie) I've tried to get her to join them. They don't seem to bother her much, but she's SO nervous around them. In the coop, she freaks out if we put her in with them. We've put them beside each other with a separation--she seems to freak out some, but calms down as long as they don't look at her. LOL. I have her in with the other Silkie and am thinking that I may take turns with only one at a time to try to get her comfortable. I'd love any tips. I swear she's going to have a heart attack if I put her with all of them again. The second time, my husband tried and he felt so bad for her that the 6'2" man squeezed himself into the coop to rescue her :) I wish I had seen that.

Oh my gosh.. what a picture I get from that description :gig

I'd love to see a video of that.

She doesn't know she's a chicken. Maybe you can get her a new buddy that is younger.. she could bond to that bird, and than may have an easier time integrating with the older birds.. Or just take your one silkie and keep the two together. She may feel less intimidated if there are less birds around her..?

I agree get her bonded with another hen in a separate area away from the others and then introduce them together. Also, pullets are often hormonal and can be down right mean near the time they are ready to lay an egg.

Back
Top Bottom