Administering TYLAN Water Soluble Powder dosage to small flock

Thanks! My first post :)

Figured since I did the math if someone else sees the thread they won't have to recalculate :)

I cannot help but find this funny each time is comes up. Maybe its just where I'm from. But, I do not know a single farmer who carries a jewelry scale with them into the field. If they do, they might be a different kind of farmer ;) Why would anyone use "grams": a measure of weight, on the dosing label? The only method of measurement I can bring into the field with me is volume. For farmer sake, please just give us the dosage in teaspoon. If I can't measure it in the kitchen I will probably have to get someone to google it for me every time. Not a vent. Just funny to me. Maybe I can get someone on the corner to weigh it up for me. :)

I cannot help but find this funny each time is comes up. Maybe its just where I'm from. But, I do not know a single farmer who carries a jewelry scale with them into the field. If they do, they might be a different kind of farmer ;) Why would anyone use "grams": a measure of weight, on the dosing label? The only method of measurement I can bring into the field with me is volume. For farmer sake, please just give us the dosage in teaspoon. If I can't measure it in the kitchen I will probably have to get someone to google it for me every time. Not a vent. Just funny to me. Maybe I can get someone on the corner to weigh it up for me. :)
Because using volumetric container to measure powder is not accurate. Lol, that someone on the corner doesn't have a scale with them, it's at home.

Seriously, no need to google the dose, just figure it out yourself. Something like Tylan is dead easy, just count out the number of teaspoons in the container and do a little math.

-Kathy

I must be missing the simplicity of this. I should have paid attention in school.
Count out the teaspoons?
the dosage is 2000 mg per gallon.
There are 100g in container.
So 2 g per gallon.
100/2=50

There should be 50 doses in the jar. How will my teaspoon help me here? Pour out all the powder on a plate and scoop it all up with a teaspoon to count?
II can see this. But, It would be helpful to have the teaspoon measurement for dosage on the jar so I can work in the field. Hope this makes sense. If I am missing an easier way, I welcome the help. I would love it

Last edited:
I must be missing the simplicity of this. I should have paid attention in school.

Count out the teaspoons?  

the dosage is 2000 mg per gallon.

There are 100g in container.

So 2 g per gallon.  

100/2=50

There should be 50 doses in the jar.  How will my teaspoon help me here?  Pour out all the powder on a plate and scoop it all up with a teaspoon to count?

II can see this.  But, It would be helpful to have the teaspoon measurement for dosage on the jar so I can work in the field.  Hope this makes sense.  If I am missing an easier way, I welcome the help.   I would love it

There will be 50 2000 mg doses in the jar, but your teaspoon might be larger than mine, so your teaspoon might = 3300 mg, and mine might = 2500 mg. I know this because I have played around with the various poultry meds, and my two teaspoons are not the same size. They're close, but one is larger than the other. How much they weigh also depends on how densely you pack them. When I played around with Corid powder one teaspoon weighed between 2.7 and 3.3 grams.

How hard is it to measure out the contents of the Tylan jar? It's an expensive drug, and now it requires a prescription, so wouldn't you want to maximize the number of gallons you can make with one jar? The way I measure is to remove one tsp or tbs at a time into another container, then pour back when done. Last med I did this with was oxytetracyline 10, and counting out 22 tablespoons took less than 10 minutes.

-Kathy

There will be 50 2000 mg doses in the jar, but your teaspoon might be larger than mine, so your teaspoon might = 3300 mg, and mine might = 2500 mg. I know this because I have played around with the various poultry meds, and my two teaspoons are not the same size. They're close, but one is larger than the other. How much they weigh also depends on how densely you pack them. When I played around with Corid powder one teaspoon weighed between 2.7 and 3.3 grams.

How hard is it to measure out the contents of the Tylan jar? It's an expensive drug, and now it requires a prescription, so wouldn't you want to maximize the number of gallons you can make with one jar? The way I measure is to remove one tsp or tbs at a time into another container, then pour back when done. Last med I did this with was oxytetracyline 10, and counting out 22 tablespoons took less than 10 minutes.

-Kathy
It doesn't require a prescription yet, it will starting 1/2017. I just purchased Tylan 200 and Tylan Soluble yesterday.

-Kathy

It doesn't require a prescription yet, it will starting 1/2017.  I just purchased Tylan 200 and Tylan Soluble yesterday.

You're luck you found it without needing a prescription, because it's been prescription only now for several months. My feedstore used to sell it, but one day they didn't have it and I asked why, and they said it was RX only, so I came home and looked for it on the Valley Vet site and sure enough, it was there in the RX section. Also, FDA says it's RX only:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-076

Not sure why this one was changed before 2017, but it did. :idunno

One can still find it on Amazon, I'd bet money that all new bottles from Elanco have an RX label.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom