Adopt a Duck?

MichelleT

Songster
8 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Denver, CO
Okay, crazy crazy question here.... I have 5 hens (about to be 4😢) in a backyard environment - it's a large backyard (1/3 acre) but within city limits. I am not looking to get more hens/chicks because I have Marek's in my flock, so that's a whole 'nother story.

I have recently come across a duck that needs adoption - a male Cayuga duck that is about 2 years old. I am wondering about adopting him. Am I crazy? Would he be okay with 5 (likely 4) hens that are 2-3 years old? I know ducks require different environments than chickens, and that they are flock animals as well, but could he be "happy" with my girls?

BTW, I am only considering this at all because I read that "According to the Merck Veterinary Manual; chickens, quail and turkeys are the only avian species affected by Marek's Disease." (which sounds wrong to me, since I have also read that wild birds can bring Marek's into a flock...) If this is incorrect, please tell me and I'll give this up now. If not, I'm curious if it could be done?

Thanks!
Michelle

Based on some quick research, it sounds like Marek’s can be transmitted from chickens to ducks, but it’s very rare (“It’s not common for MD, HVT, and DVE to cross over between chickens, turkeys, and ducks kept together, but it has happened.“).

Waterfowl need to be housed separately from chickens anyway since they get everything so wet, so maybe you could create a separate area for him and also adopt another male duck friend OR at least 3 female duck friends so he didn’t get lonely. But yes, male ducks can severely injure or kill female chickens.

That being said, ducks are really a joy to have around!

We have a pekin drake living with our chickens (not the plan, we will be getting some duck ladies to be with him soon) and he doesn't ever try to mount them but unfortunately they did poop on him occasionally in the beginning because they roost and he doesn't😬 but that stopped once he figured out not to sit under them at night. If you want to start a flush of ducks I think it would be okay to get him but if you don't want more ducks then don't get him.

We have friends who keep ducks and chickens together but their drake still mounts chickens sometimes. I think a lot depends on the drake (ours is an angel❤️) but it's still not something I would recommend.

Back
Top Bottom