Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound?*UPDATE* pic on pg. 5 and 6

Birdgirl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
Indiana
Ive been thinking about it, even got 2 books and sent in 2 applications. Just waiting "patiently" to hear back. Just would like to hear your thoughts or stories. Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
Tried to, but they wouldn't let us because we had an intact dog. I don't neuter my dogs until they reach at least two years of age for health reasons. I had no idea that me doing research and making an informed decision to do what's best for my pets would prevent me from ever being able to rescue a dog and give it a wonderful, loving home, but there you go. Good luck.

P.S. Sorry to let my bitterness shine through like that, but it was a very discouraging experience. They're great dogs and we would have loved to adopt one.

Last edited:
Please Please Please adopt!
thumbsup.gif

I work at a dog groomers and we have several that come in for bathes. Yesterday was one named Levi who had a very sad story...brought me to tears thinking about while I was washing him. Levi was raced for a long time but as he aged and started slowing down, he lost 1 race too many. His owner beat him with a baseball bat, broke all of his legs and threw him in a dumpster to die
hit.gif
They have another female who was raced and abused for years too. They are now 12 years old and live a nice life with their new owners who rescued them and have for 6 years now! There are several others that come in that were rescued as well. They are all very sweet dogs, just in need of lots of love!

Yes, I have my 3rd one, Riley. He is almost 10, a beautiful red brindle....I used to foster greyhounds awhile back and got my first boy in 92, my girl in 97 and Riley 6 years ago. They are wonderful but every breed has individuals that are 'different'. Two good books are Cynthia Brannigans "Adopting the Racing Greyhound" and "Greyhounds for Dummies". When fostering I had everything from dogs with high prey drive that were not safe around any small animal including cats and small dogs, a 6 month old that never raced because she was scared of everything (she ended up in the shelter and was almost put down because she would not even walk on a leash to go potty. I had her for a few months for rehab and she turned out to be a wonderful dog) and mostly gentle, laid back 40 mile/hr couch potatoes
big_smile.png
Now I have 5 cats, always had cats with the greys, had ratties and often a foster dog and we never had an issue. One thing though - they can never run loose, they are sighthounds, ex-racers and should always be walked on leash or let out to run in a safely fenced area. They'll be in the next county if they run off before they realize they have no clue where they are and how to get back....or you know where they are. If they make it without getting hit by a car..... If you have more questions, you can pm me

You'll never belive it, ( I must have ESP) I just got a call back from one. Said I was kinda a far drive but would take my app and process it. Gosh I hope I get the OK
fl.gif

LOL thanks for all your stories and Ive been brought to tears reading a few stories too. People can be so mean. I have two girls 5 and 3 and I was worried Id get turned down because they are so young. I also have a min. Schnauzer so she told me Id have to get a cat safe Greyhound. I have a fenced in back yard as well. Im really excited. I would just love to save a dog, espically one that needs a loving home. I love animals. And I am now reading the Retired Racing Greyhound for Dummies, and I really like it. It's not boring like I thought it would be.

Back
Top Bottom