Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound?*UPDATE* pic on pg. 5 and 6

A childhood friend of mine adopted one and my cousin adopted two. They are very neat dogs, very quiet, different than other dog breeds I have ever run across. Of course, extremely fast! And very, very smart!

I would recommend getting at least two from what my friend's experienced (seperation anxiety), unless you will be spending lots of time with them.

It worked out much better for my cousin's two, they had each other to play with when she wasn't home.

My friend's had severe seperation anxiety and ate up his door and wall, which forced him to have to crate her when he wasn't home.

After seeing what his dog went through I would get at least two. But, of course, I would get at least two of any dog type for company sakes. I have three dogs btw.

...JP

I've known a couple of people that have..and they LOVED the breed. I might do it someday...
big_smile.png

My neighbors did. They had to go through a selection process for a while, but they ended up with the prettiest, sweetest dog on the block. My friend is about to get hers too. I love greyhounds.
love.gif

If I didnt have the dogs I do, I would. I have considered it in the past because I love going and watching lure coursing, would actually like to do that for fun and I think the dog would enjoy it as well.

I've been a vet tech for 10yrs and had 1 greyhound they are great family dogs, they will chase anything that will run and will run head first into any thing that may come in between them and the chase. You have to know that sometimes rescue folks get a little over protective about adopting dogs out be ready for home inspections, yard inspections they will tell you that need all kinds of special stuff for greyhounds. I have not met a greyhound I didn't like they are cool dogs. best of luck you won't regret adopting one!

For any dog, my advice is to make sure that dog breed will fit your family and that if it does not, you will do whatever it takes to make sure it fits!
Too many times people rehome for silly reasons or are lazy
hmm.png
It's true though, we can't disagree (look at the shelters!)

If you have chickens that roam free, I'd think twice, unless you supervise, train (it can be done), etc. etc. etc.

As for spaying/neutering, you can get dog's tubes tied or boy's clipped - less invasive!
big_smile.png

As a Vet tech. in Memphis, TN (it was close to W.Mphs Ark where there was a greyhound racetrack) we saw alot of greyhounds that had been adopted. They are just great dogs. Some of the stories about what happens to these wonderful dogs when they can't race anymore are horrendous. I highly recommend adopting one if you can. All of the greyhounds that came through our clinic were so sweet natured. I have alway thought about adopting one myself but have too many small animals around. But I love them!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom