adopted 2 new hens...when will they lay again

funky

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Winston GA
Hi....I adopted 2 new hens yesterday..One is a barred rock one is a columbian wyandotte .They are both suppose to be 1 yr 6 months old..The wyandotte looks to me molting .When can we exspect eggs?We are new to this.Thanks

It really all depends on the hens and how quickly they adjust to their new home. Just try to make sure they are comfortable and get some treats here and there. Be there friend without being menacing. Soon they will start laying for you. If the one is truly molting, she won't lay until the molt is over though. Congrats on your hen adoption!
smile.png

UPDATE___went out to the coop(4th day) and there lay a big tinted egg!!!!HOORAY!!!My kids are gonna be so excited when they come home..She laid it on the ground not in the nesting box..Now I gotta fiqure out how to get her to lay there!
big_smile.png

I too am new at this, but we already 3 egs in 5 days of ownership. My hub built a coop by removing a panel from our shed and built an outside and inside area. All of them love it! they loisten to their master, roo Cordon Bleu, and the only obstacle is the rabbit. Roo thinks she is a hen.

big_smile.png
I have hads my 3 Barred Rock hens for 2 weeks and they finally got used to being seperated from roos and in a smaller coop with a lot less chickens. They finally started to relax an lay eggs on a schedule.

Back
Top Bottom