1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adopted as chicks, what are breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mommywoes, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mommywoes

mommywoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Okay so Mother's Day 2010 my bird dog killed the mom to these chicks the day they hatched. My husband and I rushed out and scooped up all of the chicks 13 in all, and brought them into our kitchen. I made a makeshift brooder, and hand raised these little ones until they were old enough to be moved into the coop outside. Then I purchased some hens from the feed store as juveniles that no one wanted because they weren't cute little fluffy chicks anymore. The salesclerk reluctantly took me to their kill coops out back and I selected the ladies I brought home, the only issue was she couldn't tell me what their breeds were either... except one a Danish Leghorn.I would really really appreciate it if you guys could take a look at their photos and tell me what I have.

Thanx so much! [​IMG]

PS you can leave comments on the photos in my flickr album

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Well, it looks to me like have a few turkens... Maybe and Australorp or 2... But what a collection! Those are some very pretty birds there. I think also maybe a maran... Just guessing...

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    #1 - Not sure. Columbian coloration, may be a Wyandotte with off straight comb... with the bad lighting, it could be a Delaware too.
    #2 - Turken / turken x ROO.
    #3 - Silver Laced Wyandotte ROO
    #4 - Not sure... could be a Delaware.
    #5 - Turken hen / turken x. Black.
    #6 - Probably a mutt.
    #7 - Turken or turken X
    #8 - Golden comet (red sex link) hen
    #9 - Mutt
    #10 - Delaware
    #11 - Silver Laced Wyandotte, looks to be male.
    #12 - Mutt.
    #13 - Unsure of breed bantam hen, Turken hen, Millie Fleur D'Uccle rooster
    #15 - Mutt
    #16 - Don't know about leghorns, but looks to be right.
    #17 - mutt.
    #18 - mutt...
    #19 - turken
    #20 - mutt.

Most of the mutts look to be Mediterranean or game crosses to me, with the tail carriage.

4. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    It looks like you have a silver laced wyandotte, red sexlink, turken, Mille Fleur D'uccle roo, maybe a delaware?, black sexlink, australorp... that's all I could think of [​IMG]

5. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    The three white ones look a lot like my Delawares and the black and silver one may be a silver laced wyandotte -- has the right comb for it.

Quote:

6. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    That last roo is beautiful!!

7. mommywoes

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Okay wait.. you think I have 3 Roosters [​IMG] instead of 2?? Only 2 crow the Turken and the Bantam, and some times the leghorn...lol but I've actually seen her lay.

8. mommywoes

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Quote:He's wild but hangs out around our manure pile every day. And actually his pops was the sperm donor to all of my wild adoptees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by