"Adopted chicks" - What is a normal amount of pecking?

sarita99

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
I put three chicks under my broody Cochin tonight. Things seem to be going well. The chicks snuggled under my hen almost immediately and she is doing a little bit of soft cluck talking to them. They chicks are a little restless though and every time they pop out from under her she is giving them some pretty good pecks. It seems she is trying to get them back under her and not much more but I'm a little nervous!

They are in my guest room in an xtra-large dog kennel. The kind that is hard on all sides with a wire door. I'm mostly concerned that the chicks are four days old (more or less). I didn't intend on getting chicks at the feed store but we all know how that goes!

Should I put the top on the kennel and call it a night? Can things go south in the morning quickly? I'm tempted to take the day off work to keep an eye on things! I'm also tempted to sleep in the guest room tonight!

It seems like nature is taking its course but I would just hate to miss some obvious signs and make the little ones (and Mama Hen) suffer. This isn't her first time to be broody but its the first time I've let it come to fruition (kinda).

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thank you!

-Sarah

I have never seen a broody hen peck at a chick and then turn around and love it. I have only tried to do this about three or four times though!!

However, all things are possible!

But I would sure keep an eye out, as when those babies come out for food and water they may be killed if she doesn't love them.

I have given a broody hen chicks both successfully and unsuccessfully. They have a mind of their own.

Last edited:
Just wondering what your final outcome was. I did the same thing last night and this morning i tried to check the chicks beneath my broody Easter Egger bantam and she pecked, but lightly the chicks head back under her. I know she may believe they just hatched and need warmth for a few days but just wondering if I should be worried. This is my first time doing this method and she is a first time broody. She has been broody for about 18-22 days and was sitting on unfertile eggs.

Dont know what the original outcome was for the person who started this thread but I can tell you mine... I got home and they were a happy
family. The cutest chicken thing I have ever experienced.

Here is a video of my Easter Egger bantam and her adopted babies

and here is a pic...

more pics on www.facebook.com/ChicagoChickInn

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom