Adopted Grandchickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenwrench, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Chickenwrench

Chickenwrench New Egg

Jan 21, 2014
    My son started a small flock of Ameraucana chicks last spring & I have recently adopted them when he moved out of state. I have six beautiful hens and a rooster that is kept separately. They appear very healthy and have just started gracing us with Easter eggs...so far about three a day.

My concern is that I don't believe they received any vaccinations besides what the supplier might have given them prior to shipment. I read about a regular schedule based on age...and having missed that boat I'm looking to find out what they need now at 10 months to catch up, as well as what they need to go forward. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

Congratulations on acquiring your little flock. I have had chickens on and off for 25 years, and the only vaccinations my chickens receive are what they get from the hatchery before they're shipped. My current flock (the oldest is, I think 3 years old) has never had a vaccination. I don't think it's necessary unless you are in an area where you have other chickens close by and there are certain diseases in that area. I don't even know what diseases to worry about because it's not an issue where I live. Can I ask why your rooster is being kept separate from the flock?

3. Chickenwrench

Chickenwrench New Egg

Jan 21, 2014
    Thanks for the reply! I grew up in farm country and we had chickens when I was a kid that were never inoculated either...but that was many moons ago!

There are very few chickens in my immediate area and none close enough to be social with ours, so I'll worry a bit less about the girls. The rooster was separated because he was starting to pick on the hens & left one a bit bloodied.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I would think your chickens would be fine without vaccinations then. Do you plan on keeping your rooster separated permanently? Good luck with your birds and enjoy those eggs! I love picking eggs - it's like an Easter egg hunt every day! [​IMG]

5. Chickenwrench

Chickenwrench New Egg

Jan 21, 2014
    Agreed on the eggs! I have been impressed that they didn't need any ceramic eggs and nested all on their own in the right place! As far as I know they've only laid one egg outside the coop.

I'm not sure what the roosters fate will be. There were originally three, but two of them started crowing in the middle of the night and didn't stop until morning. After a week and a half of sleepless nights I reduced the flock to one rooster. It's a large wire pen that separates him so the hens can hang out with him & they seem like they enjoy having him around. Time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by